|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
As a morale boosting exercise for the 60-70 maintenance personnel at the airfield a composite Zero was repaired, using spare parts from many Zeros abandoned at the airfield, including the tail section of 3844. The repaired Zero was flyable by July 1945 and Rabaul was notified.
Pilot Petty Officer Sekizen Shibayama, was flown by E13A Jake from Rabaul to Buin (near Kara Airfield) who was instructed to test-fly this Zero and fly it back to Rabaul, but the war ended before this was accomplished.
Phil Bradley adds:
The next day, on September 15, 1945, Wing Commander Bill Kofoed and Engineer Officer C D Kingsford departed Piva Yoke Airfield in RAAF 5 Squadron Wirraway to Kara Airfield to inspect the Zero, and Kofoed was briefed by the Japanese about how to fly it, and the Zero was fueled. Kofoed took off from Kara Airfield on a 32 minute flight to Piva Yoke Airfield, flying with the landing gear down.
During October 1945, the Zero was partially disassembled and transported to Torokina and loaded as cargo aboard the Wahine. Departing Bougainville on October 15, 1945, the ship arrived at Auckland five days later. Then, barged to Hobsonville Airfield.
Assigned RNZAF serial number NZ6000. The Zero was flown once during December 1945 by Wing Commander Willis (C.O. Hobsonville) for a ten minute flight, reporting: "the aircraft was quite pleasant to fly, being rather like a Harvard. It appeared to have no unusual traits in the ten minutes I was flying."
The RNZAF planned to flight test it further, or donated to an aviation school as a training aid, but both plans never materialized. Officially grounded in May 1946, the Zero was assigned serial numbers INST.113, the engine INST.BI72, for use as a training aid, and was transferred to Technical Training School at Hobsonville, on February 28, 1947.
Never used, it was offered to the Auckland War Memorial Museum in September 1947, but remained in RNZAF possession until a display space was available at the museum. The Zero remained in storage and was only occasionally displayed thought the 1950's, and parked outdoors with other old and surplus aircraft. Display at the Easter Show at Hobsonville in 1954 and 1957. Afterwards, the Zero was stored at Ardmore Airfield in No. 8 hangar, partly dismantled.
In 1958, the RNZAF attempted to reassemble the Zero and repainted it for display at events celebrating the 21st Anniversary of the RNZAF. Afterwards, stored at Ohakea Airfield, then to Whenuapai Airfield on November 30, 1959, where it remained prior to donation.
During 1985, the Zero was dismantled for study by RAAF restorers F/L Scholz and Dennis Doggett, who were involved with the restoration of A6M2 Zero 5784. They confirmed components from several Zeros were used to repair this aircraft, including:
Later, Andrew Wilkins and Peter Lewis made a further examination of the Zero. They noted, that the front section of the Zero is from A6M3 Zero 3835, and the rear half from A6M3 Zero 3844.
In 1995 the Zero underwent extensive restoration at the museum, and is today displayed in at the "Scars on the Heart", exhibit, opened in 1997.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|