Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  A-24 Dive Bomber Serial Number 41-?????  

Aircraft History
Built by Douglas. Delivered to the U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as A-24-DE Dauntless. Assigned to "X", disassembled and shipped to "Sumac" (Australia) and reassembled.

Wartime History
During the middle of 1942, this A-24 was likely assigned to a 5th Air Force unit for non-combat duties and courier flights.

Mission History
Sometime around the middle of 1942, this A-24 took off from Port Moresby on a liaison mission carrying documents with the pilot and a passenger aboard, flying eastward. This aircraft entered a severe rain storm and was observed circling Abau Island before the engine cut out and crash vertically into the island, killing both aboard.

Recovery of Remains
Several days after the crash, locals with ANGAU officer David Marsh located the crash site and recovered the remains of the crew by cutting them out of the wreckage. Both bodies were buried with the aircraft seats because both bodies were crushed into their seats by the impact.

An aircraft wreck on Abau Island is believed to be this aircraft.

Edward Rogers adds:
"The Private War of the Spotters mentions this dive bomber loss. I can find no hard evidence of this loss. It does not correspond to any missing A-24 losses unless a plane from the July 29 mission made it all the way there before crashing. The context of the story in the book gives the date as the middle of 1942. I feel that it must be a U.S. Navy or Marine SBD loss from 1943 or 1944. I believe that Lt. Bilston was with ANGAU but I can find no mention of this incident in the ANGAU War Dairy for 1942. It is not a 3rd Bomb Group plane or crew"

John Douglas adds:
"I spoke with David Marsh. He remembers the dive bomber crash at Abau. He cant remember exactly when but thinks it was after the Table Bay Val incident, and shortly after the Battle of Milne Bay. He will search his memory. The incident would have been recorded in the Abau Station Diary and also in a report to Port Moresby. He says the plane circled the island a couple of times in a storm before crashing into a mud bank offshore and sinking. The crew were crushed into the wreck and it took them two days to release their bodies, still trapped into their seats. they were initially buried on the island [next to a former kiap called Flint, who died from Pneumonia, after spending a night trapped in mangroves when his canoe sank]. American forces later recovered their bodies. He says that the plane was flying from Milne Bay to Port Moresby, and that they recovered lots of paperwork, which they sent onto Moresby. So my guess is that this was an admin flight by whoever was looking after these A24s after the 3rd Bomb Group had finished with them, probably about September 42."

The Private War of the Spotters page 47
"One day while on duty, I heard the sound of planes flying overhead. One suddenly dived and crashed in the sea 100 yards off shore. On investigation we found it had been an American dive bomber containing a crew of two men. We carried out salvage operations and recovered the bodies of the men and gave them a military funeral conducted by Lieutenant Bilston who was the Assistant District Officer. The police boys on the island fired a salute. Later the American Graves commission personnel arrived and exhumed the bodies for transport to the USA."
Thanks to David Marsh, Robert Piper, Edward Rogers, John Douglas and Michael Claringbould for additional information

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
January 9, 2019


Tech Info
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram