|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Lt. Charles Davidson (survived) Houma, LA
Gunner Sgt John McKenna, 6644691 (WIA, survived) Yongstown, OH
Force Landed April 16, 1944 "Black Sunday" at 17:15
Built at Douglas at Long Beach, CA. On September 1, 1943 delivered to the U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as A-20G-20-DO Havoc serial number 42-86786. Disassembled and shipped overseas to Australia and reassembled in Melbourne During November or December 1943 flown northward to Port Moresby.
Assigned to the 5th Air Force, 3rd Bombardment Group, 90th Bombardment Squadron. Nicknamed "Louisiana Belle" with the nose art of a shark tooth marking on the nose. This A-20 operated at 17 Mile Drome near Port Moresby.
During February 1944, assigned to the 312th Bombardment Group, 388th Bombardment Squadron. Assigned to Lt. William Mathison, who renamed it "Gloria", but required additional repairs and servicing. On March 21, 1944 this aircraft was repaired and flown to Gusap Airfield.
Assigned to pilot Charles Davidson who nicknamed it "Hell'N Pelican II", after his previous aircraft P-40N "The Hell'N Pelican". Crew Chief "Fudgie" Figuerido choose Tail Code "F" (for the first letter of his surname). A white heart was added to the rear fuselage, the marking of the 388th Bombardment Squadron.
Lowering the flaps, this aircraft force landed into kunai grass near Amaimon. During the crash landing at 17:15, the propellers were bent back and the left wing leading edge was damaged from an impact with a small tree while skidding over 300 meters. Both were unhurt in the landing and spent the night with the aircraft, behind enemy lines.
Fates of the Crew
At 16:00, a Stinson L-5 from the 25th Liaison Squadron photographed the intact A-20 from the air. Also, dropped a note to the crew with a map indicating their location and instructing them to to walk to the crash site of A-20 "Lady Constance". Both departed southward in the last afternoon with improvised backpacks made from their parachutes. Camping for the night, a rain storm flooded the area and fouled their weapons and ruined their compass.
During the morning of April 18, a Japanese patrol of ten soldiers passed nearby. After waiting for them to pass, they returned to the A-20, and camped at the edge of the jungle near the wreck. On April 19, a pair of Japanese aircraft strafed the wreck once and departed.
Dropped another note, they were instructed to clear a runway for an L-5 to land to rescue them. Working during the day in shifts. Again and the following day, a pair of Japanese aircraft returned to strafe the wreck. Trying to help clear the kunai grass, an L-5 dropped a incendiary bomb, but it failed to ignite and rains put out fires lit on the ground. Again on April 22, a P-40 dropped a incendiary, but the ground was too wet to burn.
After Australian trips captured Madang, the crew were instead instructed to walk to the Gogol River, 1.5km away. Before departing, Davidson removed the Douglas logo from the control yoke. It took them two days to reach the river through difficult vegetation, then floated down the Gogol River in a life raft, passing many crocodiles and monitored from above by an L-5.
On May 1, they spotted the HMAS Matafele and were taken aboard and transported to Madang Airfield. An L-5 arrived to transport both to Gusap Airfield, returning both to duty. Davidson had a beard after two weeks in the jungle.
Afterwards, Davidson was assigned another A-20 which he never named. On October 11, 1944 McKenna died as a passenger aboard B-25D 41-30525.
During August 1979, Michael Claringbould learned about the wreck from a kiap (patrol officer) at Bogia. Trekking to Amaimon with two locals, Claringbould walked to the crash site and noted the serial number.
Writing to the USAF Historical Section at Maxwell AFB, the details of the crash were confirmed. With the help of Russell Sturzebecker, he was put into contact with former pilot, Charles Davidson, who he met in 1985 at the 312th Bombardment Group reunion in Niagara Falls, NY.
The CH-47 departed on September 17 to relocate the crash site, included passengers S/L Rick Lunburg, Michael Claringbould and Bruce Hoy, curator of modern history at the PNG Museum. They surveyed the area from the air to locate the wreck. On September 18, five team members were landed to disassemble the aircraft. When it proved too heavy to lift, the engines were removed and finally air lifted the fuselage to Madang Airport on October 1 and made a second trip for the ground crew and engines.
During a ceremony on September 12, 1996, the A-20 was officially handed back to the Papua New Guinea government. In attendance was former pilot Charles Davidson, and his wife Thelma Davidson.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|