Pacific Wrecks Pacific Wrecks - preserving the legacy of World War II and Korean War Non-profit 501c3 charity devoted to sharing Pacific history and news

501c3 non-profit charity
All donations are
100% tax deductible
  Search Forum Areas Aircraft Ships MIAs People Reviews Help  
    Moen (Weno) Truk (Chuuk) Federated States of Micronesia

Click For Enlargement
Dick Williams 1980

Click For Enlargement
Dick Williams 1980

Click For Enlargement
Dick Williams 1969

Location
Moen Island is located near the center of Truk Lagoon. Also known as "Weno".

Wartime History
During the war, the Japanese built two airfields Moen 1 and Moen 2, and many supply dumps, stores and other facilities on on the island.

American missions against Moen
March 30, 1944 - June 27, 1945

Today
Postwar American forces built concrete structures and restored Japanese houses are along the exist on the southern coast. Today, Moen Island has been renamed "Weno" and is the capital of Chuuk (Truk).

Moen No. 1 Airfield (Airfield No. 1, Harushma, Chuuk Airport)
Built by the Japanese and used until the end of the war. Today still in use.

Moen No. 2 Airfield (Airfield No. 2)
Built by the Japanese in February 1944 as a fighter strip. Disused since the war.

Moen Seaplane Base
Japanese built seaplane base used until the end of the war. Disused today.

C6N1 Myrt
Dumped offshore from Moen Seaplane Base

Japanese Communications Center
The Xavier High School was used as a Japanese communication center during the war.

Aircraft Wreck
Part of an American plane lying in the shallows a few hundred yards north of the Truk Blue Lagoon resort. Blue Lagoon Dive Shop

Sapuk

200mm Short Naval Gun (Sapuk No. 1)
Emplaced at Sapuk on Moen Island

8" Naval Gun (Sapuk No. 2)
Emplaced at Sapuk on Moen Island

Lighthouse
Prewar lighthouse, damaged during the war

A6M Zero
Ditched off Sapuk on Moen Island

C6N1 Myrt
Abandoned in a mangrove area, salvaged

Caves and Bunkers
Numerous caves and bunkers over the island, some with guns still inside exist over the island. Dick Williams recalls: "It's called "totchka". About 3' thick concrete. They had tons of concrete. How? You get a lot of coral, burn it to make lime, mix with sand and small pieces of coral for aggregate, mix with water, stir and presto! Concrete. Strong, and real white. Even the Spanish used it to make their churches and fortifications. Still there till this day, still strong, especially when fortified with rebar. That is, unless an armor piercing 500 lbs hit.

127mm Anti-Aircraft Gun Type 89
Emplaced at Neauo (Neuwo)

Contribute Information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
April 21, 2014

 

Pacific Wreck Database
Pacific Wrecks Incorporated is a non-profit charity 501(c)(3)  Donate Now

All rights reserved