Small island to the south-east of Dublon (Tonoas) in Truk Lagoon. Also spelled 'Etan'.
Japanese military construction began in 1934 and required leveling
half the island. After the expiration of the Washington
Naval treaty in 1937, more construction begain with help of
the Japanese Navy and South Seas Government. In 1939 work
intensified, with conscripted labor, Koreans, and Japanese
prisoners also used. All construction was completed by late 1943.
American Missions Against Eten
15, 1944 - June 21, 1945
Japanese built airfield
Eten Headquarters Building
Three story building was an aviation HQ and communications center.
It is made of reinforced concrete with steal doors and
windows. During the war, it was riddled with bullet holes and bomb damage.
Nearby are four blockhouses, one with mounts for a generator. Today, the walls have been grafiited by Trukese youths.
Upside down with a gear leg above water at low tide
The hilltop has a commanding
view of the nearly all the islands in the lagoon.
Type 89 (1929) 127mm Anti-Aircraft Gun
Emplaced atop Mount Uinku
Ditched off Eten Island
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 8, 2014