Kenny January 1943
Kenny February 1943
US Army April 21, 1944
Justin Taylan 2005
in the Apoka Valley, near Barune, to the west of Port Moresby to the north of Fairfax Harbor. Also known as "Port Moresby Evacuation Hospital".
Construction began on February 3, 1943 and was wholly constructed US Army 135th Medical Regiment, apart from roads and water reservoirs.
The hospital was run by the 135th Medical Regiment jointly by Dr. Theodore R. Failmezger (internist) and Herbert Conway (surgeon) with close coordination with the Australian Army Medical Corps and operated here until August 20, 1943.
Army 116th Station Hospital organized at Fort Leonardwood, MO on December 20, 1942 arrived at Port Moresby on August 13, 1943 and took over from the 135th Medical Regiment on August 20. Commanding officers included: H. LeFevre, C. Sheldon, Dr. Theodore R. Failmezger and G. Hendrickson.
Facilities were located in huts and included: registration, 750 bed hospital, O & N, EMT, X-Ray, laboratory, mess halls, surgery, contagious disease, psychotherapy, psychotic compound, nurses quarters, Red Cross post, craft shop, PX, chapel and living quarters. The camp's largest street was dubbed "Main Street" and the generator area was dubbed "New Guinea Power & Lighting". The officers were quartered on a hilltop known as "Officer's Hill".
|Ward 1 - 120 beds
Ward 7 - Patient's Mess
Ward 18 "General's Ward"
Ward 24 - located in "Happy Hollow"
Ward 25 - located in "Happy Hollow"
Ward 26 - located in "Happy Hollow"
At its height, this hospital was the largest
in the southern hemisphere capable of preforming
any medical procedure in the United States until the 117th Station Hospital was created at Nadzab. The USO performed a show at the hospital, including a performance by actor John Wayne.
During late 1944, the 116th Station Hospital began preparing for a move to Tacloban, arriving on November 20, 1944 and establishing the 116th Station Hospital (Tacloban) at Tarragona.
concrete pads where buildings once stood remain. The hospital's
water supply still and are used by locals.
Roads, culverts and other engineering architecture also remain.
New Guinea Skies page 169 - 174
Thanks to Charles Failmezger (son of
Dr. Theodore R. Failmezger) Henry Mayer and Keith Hopper for additional information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
August 15, 2015
View in Google Earth