Pacific Wrecks Pacific Wrecks - preserving the legacy of World War II and Korean War Non-profit 501c3 charity devoted to sharing Pacific history and news

501c3 non-profit charity
All donations are
100% tax deductible
  Search Forum Areas Aircraft Ships MIAs People Reviews Help  
    Ermita District Manila | National Capital Region | Luzon Philippines

Click For Enlargement
US Army February 1945

Location
La 14° 34' 60N Long 120° 58' 60E  Ermita is a district of Manila. Borders Manila Bay to the west, Itramuros to the north, Paco to the east and Malate to the southeast.

Wartime History
During the Battle of Manila in early 1945, most of Ermita district was destroyed. After the battle, the only buildings left standing were the Admiral, Lopez Apartments, Miramor and Mabini Apartments, Bay View Hotel and a few residential homes.

Today
Ermita is a district of Manila and is a major commercial, financial, and cultural center of Manila. The only wartime buildings that survive are: Admiral, Bayview and Mabini Mansions. All have been remodeld and some renamed.

Manila Hotel
Prewar hotel that was General MacArthur's residence and damaged during the war

National Museum of the Philippines (Dept of Finance Building)
Heavily damaged during the liberation of Manila in 1945 by American artillery

Dewey Boulevard Airfield
Japanese used the southern part of Dewey Boulevard as a runway

Embassy of the United States, Manila
Located on the waterfront, bordering Manila Bay to the west and Dewey Boulevard (Roxas Boulevard) to the east. Formally known as the United States High Commission to the Philippines or as the American High Commissioner's residence.

During the Japanese occupation, the building became the residency of the Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Army in the Philippines. When the Japanese-sponsored Puppet Republic was established in 1943, the building was repainted and refurbished to serve as the Embassy of Japan to the Philippines. On February 20, 1945 American forces liberated the property. The building was heavily damaged but the ballroom and other rooms remained intact. Postwar, during October 1945 quonset huts were erected throughout the property and became known as The Courthouse and severd as the center of the Japanese war crimes trials in the Philippines with the ballroom as the courtroom and the upstairs rooms used as holding cells.

Contribute Information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
January 8, 2014

 

Map
Map
Pacific Wreck Database
Pacific Wrecks Incorporated is a non-profit charity 501(c)(3)  Donate Now

All rights reserved