At the start of the Pacific War the garrison included the 742 man Minamitorishima Guard Unit, under the command of Rear-Admiral Masata Matsubara and the 2,005 man 12th Independent Mixed Regiment, under the command of Colonel Yoshiichi Sakata.
At the height of the war, over 4,000 Japanese soldiers were stationed on the island. Defended by trench system and beach defenses around the perimeter of the island plus light and heavy anti-aircraft batteries.
The island was attacked by American aircraft and bypassed, leaving the garrison isolated and cut off from resupply, aside from submarine or rescue.
American missions against Marcus
At the end of the war, the surviving garrison officially surrendered on August 31, 1945 to US Army General Whiting.
In 1968, Marcus was returned to Japan. Today. the island is administratively considered part of Ogasawara, Tokyo.
Marcus Airfield (Minamitorishima Airfield)