34° 23' 60N Long 132° 26' 60E City in southern Kyushu. Target of the first atomic bomb dropped by B-29 "Enola
Gay" 44-86292 on August 6, 1945.
American missions against Hiroshima
April 2 - August 6, 1945
This 'T' shaped bridge was used as the aiming point for the atomic bomb. It survived the blast, but the current bridge
is new, but still in the same location and 'T' shape.
Hiroshima Prefecture Industrial Promotion Hall (A-Bomb Dome)
Designed by Czech architect Jan Letzel, and
constructed in April 1915. Its green colored dome was well known the citizens
of Hiroshima. The atomic bomb's hypocenter was approximately 160 meters
to the SE. The building
of the dome and outer wall survived. Preserved as
is one of the most well known symbols of the
the world. In December 1996, it became a UNESCO world heritage site.
21-1 Motoi, Nake-ku Tel 082-221-7512
by feudal lord, Yerumoto Mori. During the war, the castle and grounds were
occupied by the 2nd General Army HQ and 5th Army Division. It was completely
'faithfully rebuilt' in 1958. Today is
a museum to display samurai artifacts.
Hiroshima Peace Memorial
1-2 Nakajuna-cho, Naka-ku
Museum dedicated to the history of the atomic bomb. This modern museum has
all displays in both Japanese and English and other languages. A scale model
of the city shows the area before and after the bomb, as well as displays of
artifacts, photographs and other information. It is an impressive
museum in terms of both the impact of its presentation, and even handed depiction
of the history.
National Memorial Hall for A-bomb Deceased
This impressive monument looks toward the A-Bomb Dome and an eternal flame.
Cenotaph for A-Bomb Victims
This arch provides a view from the Peace park to National Memorial Hall.
Children's Peace Memorial
Memorial at Hiroshima
Atomic Bomb Memorial Mound
Memorial at Hiroshima
For U.S. POWs (Former Chugoku Kempei-Tai HQ)
Installed during 1999 due to the efforts and personal funds of Hiroshima
resident and A-bomb survivor, Shigeaki Mori. At least 12 American POWs were
killed in the atomic bomb blast, while
(military police) HQ, near the hypocenter. These POWs were from the crews of four American
aircraft that went down in the area. Today, the former HQ, today an office
Dedicated in 1964, this bell is to encourage world peace and end to nuclear
Peace Clock Tower
This clock tower chimes at 8:15am everyday, the moment when the atomic
bomb exploded over the city. Donated by the Lions Club in 1967, for the goal
of world peace.
For Koreans killed in the blast.
Used as a military port during the Sino-Japanese war. In 1940 a civilian industrial
port opened as well, including filling 3.2 km
Industries selected the site for a machine factory. The first wartime ship
built here was the Hisakawa Maru in 1944. In 1943, part this industrial
area was also used as an Army airfield.
Island offshore from Hiroshima, site of Japanese
Navy Academy for Officers.
Sunk after an internal magazine explosion on June 8, 1943
Pilot Carwright crashed July 28, 1945
B-24J "Taloa" Serial
Pilot Marvin crashed July 28, 1945
SBC2 Helldiver Bureau Number 21079
Pilot Porter crashed 1945 (?)
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
June 5, 2016