Query about RNZAF Hudson page

Information relating to Pacific Wrecks website

Moderator: Moderator

Dave Homewood
Sergeant

Query about RNZAF Hudson page

Post by Dave Homewood »

Hi Daniel,

I have been looking at your Pacific Wrecks page on the RNZAF hudson NZ2021, which was shot down into the sea off Vella Lavella.

I have a few queries.

One - the link to an article about a ceremony no longer works. Is it possible to get this re-instated please? I assume this was the RAAF wreath laying on the supposed spot of the aircraft's demise at sea?

Two - the text states this was one of 14 Hudsons converted to C-63 status. I very much doubt this at all, as it was with No. 3 Squadron, a front line operational squadron, so would have been fully armed and operational. The C-63 Hudsons were only ever used by No.'s 40 and 41 Squadron, both Transport squadrons. They were unarmed, with no turret (Ganley was a turret gunner!). So this information has to be a mistake.

And a third point, Trevor Ganley was from my home town and thus is part of my online project recording the people from the Cambridge district of NZ who served in the wartime Air Forces. I thought you may be interested in my page on him here, and if you wish, I'd be happy for you to link to this page from yours.
http://www.cambridgeairforce.org.nz/Trevor%20Ganley.htm

So far I only have details of what happened on that extraordinary day in July 1943 recorded, but I plan to soon add more about his service career and life when i get a chance. But you'll see a transcript of a news article of him telling the story in his own words.

Cheers
Dave

Dave Homewood
Sergeant

Post by Dave Homewood »

I notice the NZ2021 page seems to now have disappeared from the database so I assume it's being corrected?

As additional info to my statement above, the RNZAF converted 15 Hudsons to C-63 transport standard in late 1943 and through till mid-1944. They were:

NZ2022
NZ2027
NZ2039
NZ2043
NZ2049
NZ2053
NZ2057
NZ2068
NZ2069
NZ2071
NZ2074
NZ2075
NZ2079
NZ2081
NZ2088

I am keen to know if this is correct too
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/h ... 6-119.html
It states the Tail Gunner was T.E. Ganley. Same chap in a different service? Or mistake?

Dave Homewood
Sergeant

Post by Dave Homewood »

Does no-one bother to read these threads any more?

David McNeill
2nd Lieutenant

Post by David McNeill »

Dave Homewood wrote:Does no-one bother to read these threads any more?
I do, never knew that any Hudsons had been converted to transports! Presume that this was a stop gap until more capable aircraft like the C-47 were available?

Dave Homewood
Sergeant

Post by Dave Homewood »

Yes I believe so, once the Hudsons began to be replaced in frontline service by the Ventura, soe were withdrawn for conversion to transports and then joined No. 40 Squadron to compliment the C-47's and Lodestars they operated. They ran mail services and troops transport top most of the RNZAF's Pacific bases. When No. 40 Squadron had a full compliment of Dakotas, the Hudsons and Lodestars were withdrawn and formed the new No. 41 Squadron, which also had Dakotas.

Basically they handled the medium haul flights to Fiji, Norfolk, Tonga etc whereas the Dakotas went on the longer routes.

David McNeill
2nd Lieutenant

Post by David McNeill »

Dave Homewood wrote:Yes I believe so, once the Hudsons began to be replaced in frontline service by the Ventura, soe were withdrawn for conversion to transports and then joined No. 40 Squadron to compliment the C-47's and Lodestars they operated. They ran mail services and troops transport top most of the RNZAF's Pacific bases. When No. 40 Squadron had a full compliment of Dakotas, the Hudsons and Lodestars were withdrawn and formed the new No. 41 Squadron, which also had Dakotas.

Basically they handled the medium haul flights to Fiji, Norfolk, Tonga etc whereas the Dakotas went on the longer routes.
That would make sense. Thanks for that matey.

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier Dave.

For about 12 months now, Justin and I have been re-investigating EVERY MIA case listed on the site - Correcting details, updating etc etc etc. This is also being used for the redesigned, Project PRIAM database.

It appears as if Justin may have used the original NZ2021 page as a template for the A16-119 page you have referred to, possibly overlooking that the crew details need to be removed.

I have forwarded complete details of both losses to be reuploaded to the PWD site.

As I recall, the wreath laying photos were from an external (possibly Dept of Defence) website which appears to have been (re)moved over the years.

Any further information/corrections would be greatly appreciated.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

Justin Taylan
Administrator

updated Hudson pages

Post by Justin Taylan »

Dear all,

Thanks for spotting the errors on PacificWrecks.com
If anyone has any other info or photos of these planes, let me know. Here are the updated pages:

Hudson A16-119
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/h ... 6-119.html

Hudson NZ2021
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/h ... Z2021.html
- Justin Taylan
Founder & Director
http://www.PacificWrecks.com

Dave Homewood
Sergeant

Post by Dave Homewood »

Thanks chaps for the update

Dave Homewood