Ditched L-4 South Coast of New Guinea approx 23 March 1943??

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

moose
Private

Ditched L-4 South Coast of New Guinea approx 23 March 1943??

Post by moose »

I am looking for any information (or a way of finding same) regarding a J-3 or L-4(?) Grasshopper which was ditched by an USAAF(?) Major(?) in the Hood Point/Rigo area on or about 23rd March 1943. One of the crew(?) a Major (?) was picked up from a reef where he had been stranded for days saved by passing Australian army servicemen (Spotters) (equivalent to Coastwatchers) on 26th March. The Major's injuries (Sunburn/Dehydration) were tended and he was forwarded on to Port Moresby.

There could have been another aircraft (travelling with the subject aircraft) also lost in the same location on that date.

Any information about a similar aircraft loss on or near that date in that area would be a start at least. If not, just a pointer on were to go to find some info would be a great help.

(Note all those question marks!...Veterans memories are dimming now.)

Moose

Dave G
Private

Ditched J-3/L-4/Auster

Post by Dave G »

Hi Moose
This is a long shot but there is a fuselage (frame only) along side the road to Variarata National Park. This road branches off the Sogeri road (the 'Snake Road') i.e the road to the Moresby end of the Kokoda Track. I showed little interest in these two during those years '74 - '94 as I thought it was just dumped there along with a very rusty old army truck. Maybe it was a crash site ???. That site is about 15 minutes flying time from Hood Point and Rigo. The Park by the way overlooks, from 1800 feet, the 7-Mile (Jacksons) 'drome in Moresby.

Best regards....Dave G

dougal
Private

Post by dougal »

L5 Stinson Sentinel 42-98074 [25 Liason Sq]was ditched offshore Hood Point on 26 March 1944 The pilot was T/Sgt George Barnes. he became lost in bad weather during a flight from Dobuduru to Port Moresby. He parachuted into the sea near Rigo, was resued by a local fisherman and ANGAU patrol officers,taken to Hood Point where there was an ELS, and from there flown back to Port Moresby.
I have no other records of a L4/5 loss in this area. There were a number of other losses around Hood Point; mostly Fighter planes, trying to make it to the ELS

Dave G
Private

Post by Dave G »

Re my previous post above I found a photo of the scene I refer to. Most of the complete frame is behind that old truck and not visible. The fin/rudder strongly suggests a Piper Cub (J-5?)