b-24 yankee doodle dandy

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

jayhain
Sergeant

b-24 yankee doodle dandy

Post by jayhain »

could anybody tell me which austrlian graves unit searched the wreckage on december 1, 1946.........it has to be more than likely one of the following: 8,16,23,26,31,35........i contacted the AWM...they need the unit so i can get part of their diary

Leondus
1st Lieutenant

Post by Leondus »

Does MACR 4926, list the search?

IIRC the case should have been reviewed and closed in 1946 or 1947?? but could be wrong

jayhain
Sergeant

macr 4926

Post by jayhain »

as to my knowledge it isn't in the macr....crashsite was gone over on december 1, 1947 by the aussie graves reg.the report wasn't closed to later oweing to the whereabouts of jennings.pilot golden was captured then beheaded april 18th,copilot donahue was also captured and beheaded around same time.ivers was found on the bank of lake sentani april 14th and buried by villagers(still in parachute).japanese reports that 4 chutes were seen,and that 6 died in the crash(normal crew of a B-24 was 10....however this plane was carrying 13!buie,balluo,ingerman were respectivly combat photographer,combat photographer,5th bomb command obsever)also i have a side note......a native man(who was 10 years old at the time)claims that jennings was brought to his home then turned over to the enemy....was last seen by natives being put in a boat(then then heard rumors that he was executed in a forrest on east side of lake)
the aussies only found 4 remains......they were unable to do any positive id's...all were returned to the states around 1951 and buried in kentucky.......except golden ,donahue,ivers.....the report from the prison fire lists jennings,however the military decieded that he must of died in the crash(they came to this end to wrap up the report because it was open so long....and they thought it was impossible for the enemy to get him out of the country and to tokyo)