Wreck found by oil search crew in 1973/4 PNG Highlands?

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Gryphonn
Private

Wreck found by oil search crew in 1973/4 PNG Highlands?

Post by Gryphonn »

Hi all

In 1973-76 (IIRC), my father Noel Griffin (now deceased), was a Party Manager for an oil search company in the North Western area of PNG. Around 1974 one of the oil search crew found an aircraft wreck while hand cutting a seismic line through thick jungle.

I was only 11 at the time, so didn't pay too much attention to the aircraft type etc. However, my sister may have some photos storeed away and I am about to hunt through a couple of hundred slides to see if I can find any photos of this aircraft.

I would appreciate it very much if, going by my vague description, you may be able to shed some light on this wreck for me. I understand that 'somewhere in the North West of PNG in 1974' is vague, but hopefully it's a start. I believe the propellor (or one of the propellors) was taken back to the main camp and set up in the wet mess at the time. When they moved on, the propellor may have been left in the care of the local tribespeople.

Thank you for your time,
Brad Griffin

Before I go, isn't the 'net amazing? I have been an Internet user since 1998 and I am still surprised by the vast amounts of resources for information on nearly *everything*! I was thinking about the time it might take to find the information I am looking for without this 'instant' medium.
Email me:
Griffin Computer Services
gryphonn@gmail.removethisbit.com

Gryphonn
Private

Re: Correction, 1974-75 going by slide dates

Post by Gryphonn »

Gryphonn wrote:Hi all

In 1973-76 (IIRC), my father Noel Griffin (now deceased), was a Party Manager for an oil search company in the North Western area of PNG. Around 1974 one of the oil search crew found an aircraft wreck while hand cutting a seismic line through thick jungle.

I was only 11 at the time, so didn't pay too much attention to the aircraft type etc. However, my sister may have some photos storeed away and I am about to hunt through a couple of hundred slides to see if I can find any photos of this aircraft.

I would appreciate it very much if, going by my vague description, you may be able to shed some light on this wreck for me. I understand that 'somewhere in the North West of PNG in 1974' is vague, but hopefully it's a start. I believe the propellor (or one of the propellors) was taken back to the main camp and set up in the wet mess at the time. When they moved on, the propellor may have been left in the care of the local tribespeople.

Thank you for your time,
Brad Griffin

Before I go, isn't the 'net amazing? I have been an Internet user since 1998 and I am still surprised by the vast amounts of resources for information on nearly *everything*! I was thinking about the time it might take to find the information I am looking for without this 'instant' medium.
Email me:

Gryphonn
Private

More information

Post by Gryphonn »

Hi again all

I have a little more information about the discovery of that plane wreck.
The company my father worked for was Digicon. I am fairly sure they worked the Sepik and Fly River areas. All chopper fuel, supplies etc were carried up and downstream on native long boats or aluminium 'river trucks' to the satellite camps.

So far I have only found one very dark slide that shows a 3 blade propellor sitting at the front of what looks like a large meeting house or school. It is propped up with what looks like a metal tripod.

I should have more photos to examine in the next few weeks, after my sister returns to her place and has a hunt for me. She is interstate at the moment.

I have been looking through the database and have found a possible candidate:

Lat 8? 33' 0S Long 143? 25' 0E Kiwai. The story of the propellor seems to gel with my fathers photos.

Once I have copies of the photos, I will submit them. Unfortunately I don't have a slide scanner and therefore cannot submit the slide I have here.
Email me:

PopsDauntless
Corporal

Post by PopsDauntless »

Can't wait to see those pics!
Jason
Have any info on naval bases in Alaska?
Please email or PM me.