tacloban,leyte

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

captmitchell11
Corporal

tacloban,leyte

Post by captmitchell11 »

tacloban,leyte 2 navy planes crash landed after dark ,my father was driving a signal corps jeep and was asked to provide lights for landing
one plane carrying a pilot and gunner overshot the runway and hit some parked vehicles ,he pulled them both to safety and was awarded the
SOLDIERS MEDAL,any clues as to what carrier these planes were from? he never talked about the war much he landed on new guinea,leyte, and luzon
this was i believe oct 22,1944.he was co a 442 heavy signal construction bttn

diddyriddick
Sergeant

Re: tacloban,leyte

Post by diddyriddick »

There were about 30 carriers involved in Leyte at that time. Did your Dad say why the plane landed at Tacloban? Based on the date of the 22nd, my guess would be that it was probably forced down by mechanical problems. A crew of two indicates that it was probably either an SBD Dauntless or an SB2C Helldiver, either way that likely eliminates the CVEs.

So....That would limit it to:

CVs:
Wasp
Hornet
Hancock
Intrepid
Essex
Lexington
Franklin
Enterprise

CVLs:
Cowpens
Monterey
Independence
Cabot
Princeton
Langley
San Jacinto
Belleau Wood

Other than that, there's not much to go on, but I'll see what I can come up with.

diddyriddick
Sergeant

Post by diddyriddick »

Ok...I've whittled it down a bit....Wasp, Hornet, Hancock, Cowpens and Monterey were in John McCain’s Task Force 38.1 which was sent to Ulithi on the 22nd, so those are unlikely.

CVs:
Intrepid(VA-75)
Essex
Lexington
Franklin
Enterprise

CVLs:
Independence
Cabot
Princeton
Langley
San Jacinto
Belleau Wood

captmitchell11
Corporal

Post by captmitchell11 »

Thank-you date may have been 24 Oct
44 I have original citation will double check

danny900
Private

Post by danny900 »

At Tacloban, Leyte. P.I.; San Marcelino, Luzon Badly damaged the plane crash landed in the water about ten miles from Kavieng alongside the mangroves of Manne Island , near Albatross Channel. The plane, broken up, lies in 12m of water on a silty bottom. The Turret guns and flexible mounted tail gun are still in Place.
http://www.maxicab.sg/

diddyriddick
Sergeant

Post by diddyriddick »

captmitchell11 wrote:Thank-you date may have been 24 Oct
44 I have original citation will double check
That could narrow the search dramatically. USS Princeton was sunk off Leyte on the 24th. I know that she had fighters airborne, but they had a crew of one. It is possible that she had bombers returning from strikes or scouting. Moreover, she didn't sink immediately; she may have been able to launch her remaining planes before the catastrophic explosion that destroyed her. The enclosed pic shows here on her shakedown cruise with SBDs (no folded wings)parked aft.

I'll continue to dig....

http://www.historynet.com/eyewitness-to ... eature.htm

http://www.ninesisters.com/princeton.htm

captmitchell11
Corporal

Post by captmitchell11 »

Confirmed 24 Oct thanks

captmitchell11
Corporal

Post by captmitchell11 »

i have been digging a little myself the princeton had 10 torpedo bombers and 23 fighters have been in touch with princeton survivors group
awaiting info thanks for your help

diddyriddick
Sergeant

Post by diddyriddick »

diddyriddick
Sergeant

Post by diddyriddick »

diddyriddick wrote:This might help, too.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/USN-ref.html
Also....Be careful. The ship in Leyte Gulf on October 24 was CVL-23. There was a later Princeton called CV-37.

diddyriddick
Sergeant

Post by diddyriddick »

captmitchell11 wrote:i have been digging a little myself the princeton had 10 torpedo bombers and 23 fighters have been in touch with princeton survivors group
This is troubling for a couple of reasons. In the photo above from her shakedown cruise, Princeton is not carrying torpedo bombers, but rather dive bombers. Secondly, you cited a crew of 2 which further indicates dive bombers-Torpedo planes had a crew of 3.

Anything is possible, but it is confusing.

diddyriddick
Sergeant

Post by diddyriddick »

diddyriddick wrote:
captmitchell11 wrote:i have been digging a little myself the princeton had 10 torpedo bombers and 23 fighters have been in touch with princeton survivors group
This is troubling for a couple of reasons. In the photo above from her shakedown cruise, Princeton is not carrying torpedo bombers, but rather dive bombers. Secondly, you cited a crew of 2 which further indicates dive bombers-Torpedo planes had a crew of 3.

Ok. You are correct. Sometime between shakedown and Leyte, all the CVLs converted from SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber to the TBM/TBF Avenger torpedo bomber. But there is still the problem of 3 crew members.

diddyriddick
Sergeant

Post by diddyriddick »

diddyriddick wrote:
diddyriddick wrote:

Ok. You are correct. Sometime between shakedown and Leyte, all the CVLs converted from SBD Dauntless Dive Bomber to the TBM/TBF Avenger torpedo bomber. But there is still the problem of 3 crew members.
Ok. The torpedo squadron embarked on Princeton was VT-27-Lt. Commander S.M. Haley commanding. They had 9 TBM1-Cs.

However, the more I think of it, the crew of two screams dive-bomber which leads back to the CVs, not the CVLs.

captmitchell11
Corporal

Re: tacloban,leyteto

Post by captmitchell11 »

My dad never talked about it much but he did say the gunner said "don't forget me sarge" Gerald astor mentioned 2 planes force landing at tacloban in one of his books on this night , I believe dive bomber also
Maybe they were caught out after dark and the carriers were afraid to turn on lights ,thank-you for your help

captmitchell11
Corporal

Post by captmitchell11 »

Have eliminated the enterprise squadrons still digging