Swamp Ghost News 09/10/08

Discussion about the history of B-17E 'Swamp Ghost' and its recovery.

Moderator: Moderator

Post Reply
1st Lieutenant
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:28 am
Location: Australia

Swamp Ghost News 09/10/08

Post by West-Front » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:00 pm


Salvaged war plane to be shipped to US

THE American war plane B17E Flying Fortress Bomber, named Swamp Ghost, used during the Second World War and salvaged from the Agiambo swamp in Oro province, will soon be shipped back to the US after being in PNG for almost 66 years, director of the National Museum and Art Gallery Simon Poraituk said on Monday.

Mr Poraituk said that after a public outcry, the Government had halted its shipment to the US.
The National Executive Council had repealed its previous decision after considering all the pros and cons and finally decided to give the green light for the Swamp Ghost to be shipped home.
As the US Aero Archaeology had saved the aircraft from being disintegrated through natural corrosion in the swamp, the NEC has changed its earlier decision.

Mr Poraituk also said it was a costly exercise for Aero Archaeology to use more advanced technology to salvage the aircraft from Agiambo swamp to Lae where it was now.
He said Aero Archaeology had already deposited K300,000 in a bank account here for the State, Oro provincial government and landowners.

The war plane had to be shipped back to the US as PNG lacked the technology, manpower and money to rebuild it to its original condition for display purposes here, he added.
Before the aircraft was salvaged from the Agiambo swamp, it had no tourism value as it was submerged under 6m of water. The area was remote and accessible only by helicopter, he said.

No tourist has visited the area and since PNG lacks display facilities, two other aircraft are still waiting for display, sitting in Australia under historic aviation restoration services.Meanwhile, Aero Archaelogy will construct a modern history display facility, recreation playground and barbecue area at the National Museum and Art Gallery at its own cost.

1st Lieutenant
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:28 am
Location: Australia

Re: Swamp Ghost News 09/15/08

Post by West-Front » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:02 am

Swamp Ghost sale illegal

THE National Executive Council (NEC) decision to allow the Swamp Ghost wreck to be exported is an illegal decision and the NEC has actually participated in that conspiracy by giving an approval which it has no legal power to make.

This was said in a joint statement issued yesterday by the deputy chairman of the Public Accounts Committee and Governor of Western Province Dr Bob Danaya and Member of the PAC and Governor of Eastern Highlands Mal Kela Smith.

Both governors said this decision by the NEC showed very clearly the collapse of the rule of law in Papua New Guinea.

“And, all citizens can now see that the NEC is prepared to ignore thelaw and embrace and approve illegal transactions and acquisitions of State property by foreigners who themselves have no certification to work in PNG and who on — sell our heritage for profit confident that they will never be called to account,” the governors said.

They said the NEC decision totally ignores the law and advice given by the Attorney General, the State Solicitor, the PAC, O’Briens Lawyers and the Gubon Lawyers that the sale was illegal, the export was illegal and the removal from Agaiembo swamp was illegal.

The governors said the NEC has not only endorsed a conspiracy to illegally acquired public property by foreigners who have no capacity to restore or preserve the wreck and also completely ignored the fact that the wreck is sub judice in the National Court.

“Further, the NEC submission was intentionally misleading and deceitful as it again stated that the wreck was to go to March Field Museum in California,” they said.

They said on August 4, the museum again said there was no such arrangement and also had no knowledge of the Swamp Ghost or its exporters and intended to write to the PNG Government protesting that the name of the museum was again being used without its knowledge.
The governors asked to know which destination the Swamp Ghost was going to . . . who has actually bought it and why did the NEC accept the submission without seeking confirmation.

They said the Minister for Cultural and Tourism has no jurisdiction over the wreck nor does the museum.

The only person with legal power to approve such salvage is the Governor-General acting on advice – and even he cannot approve a sale.


rod mountford
2nd Lieutenant
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:11 pm
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Swamp Ghost to leave PNG?

Post by rod mountford » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:19 am

Hi according to a recent magazine article The Swamp Ghost could well be on it's way to the US. The Director of the National Museum announced this back in September, I wonder if it is on it's way? I remember hearing of it's discovery in the 1970's as a kid and how well preserved it was then. One can only hope it is restored to it's former glory and put on a suitable display. After seeing the remains and state of some of the aircraft held in the museum in Moresby, this is the only viable alternative. How it got out and why well that is another question, lets just hope it goes to a good home.

Post Reply