Push to recognise Japan WWII soldiers in Darwin

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

joad
2nd Lieutenant

Post by joad »

what do people think about this...

The head of the Northern Territory's war museum is backing a push to have Japanese soldiers officially remembered in the commemorations of the World War II bombing of Darwin.

At least 242 people died in Japanese raids on Darwin in 1942 and 1943, led by the same commander who attacked Pearl Harbour.

Historians still are not sure exactly how many Japanese personnel were killed, but 80 are thought to have gone down in a Japanese submarine destroyed just outside Darwin Harbour.

Japanese woman Sachi Hirayama lives in Darwin and is requesting her country's war dead also be officially remembered.

"All people who fought the war are victims of war, and that's why I wanted to give flowers for both people," Ms Hirayama said.

"I want Japanese people see the ceremony I joined and I want them to learn that Australian people's attitude ... like the past is the past, learn from experience and let's move on."

The director of Darwin's war museum, Dr Tom Lewis, agrees.

"I think it's a tremendous idea, of course they should be remembered," he said.

"I think it's now 70 years since they were here and a lot of the acrimony has gone.

"But I understand soldiers who are still alive on our side and on their side for that matter may feel bitter, and they may not want to participate, but I think for the rest of us we think it is about time."

He says the soldiers' deaths are not properly remembered, even in Japan.

The RSL says the proposal may offend some veterans.

"We'd have to speak to those people and get their feelings," senior vice president of the Territory's RSL branch, Don Milford, said.

"I believe the younger members probably wouldn't have that much of an issue with it.

"But of course before we could do anything, consultation with our more senior members would have to be undertaken."

Chief Minister Paul Henderson says he would consider a proposal to officially remember Japanese soldiers in the commemorations of the bombing of Darwin.

"I think it was a very significant signal from the Japanese to make that formal apology here in Darwin for the first time," he said.
"It was certainly something significant and it was deeply moving and deeply touching, so I'm happy to talk to the Japanese Consul about that."

richard rudd
1st Lieutenant

Re: Push to recognise Japan WWII soldiers in Darwin

Post by richard rudd »

Why not remember the brave and the dead ...from all sides. Lest we forget. Everyone are victims.

The full military honours shown by the Australian Navy to the Japanese submariners that died in Sydney Harbour attack earned Australia great respect for its humanity from Japan... even then in the early dark days of WW2 Pacific.

Let History Live.