2nd Lt Herbert H. Peterson MIA 2 Feb 45.

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

AALLENPETE
Private

2nd Lt Herbert H. Peterson MIA 2 Feb 45.

Post by AALLENPETE »

HERE IS MISSING CREW REPORT WITH ALL PERTINENT DATA INCLUDING LOCATION OF P-47 CRASH. HOW DO I PROCEED TO TRY TO GET HIS REMAINS BACK?
1. Organization: Location by name: San Marcalino, Luzon ? Command: 5th Air Force
Group: 348th Fighter Squadron: 340th Ftr. Detatchment: ________________
2. Specify: Place of departure Tanauan Airstrip Course: 210°
Target or intended destination: SW Bohol Island Type of Mission: Cover Convoy
3. WEATHER CONDITIONS AND VISIBILITY AT TIME OF CRASH OR WHEN LAST REPORTED:__Cloudy and dark.
4. GIVE: (a) Day 2 Month Feb Year 45; Time 1945/? and Location 5 mi south of Dulag Airstrip of last known whereabouts of missing aircraft.
(b) Aircraft was last sighted(x).
5. AIRCRAFT WAS LOST OR BELIEVED TO BE LOST BECAUSE OF: See statement.
6. AIRCRAFT: Type, Model and Series P-47D-23; AAF S/N: 42-28020
7. NICKNAME OF AIRCRAFT (IF ANY) THUNDERBOLT
8. ENGINES: Type, Model and Series R-2800-59 P&W; AAF S/N: FP002I56
9. INSTALLED WEAPONS (Furnish below make, type and serial number;
(a) 1252166 (b) 1253178 (c) 1253018 (d) 1251782
(e) 1252317 (f) 1252591 (g) 1253001 (h) 1250975
All guns are Browning .50 caliber aerial machine guns manufactured by Frigidaire.
10. THE PERSONS LISTED BELOW WERE REPORTED AS: Battle Casualty.
11. NUMBER OF PERSONS ABOARD AIRCCRAFT: Crew 1
Crew Position Name in Full Grade S/N Status
Pilot Herbert H. Peterson 2nd Lt O-827269 MIA
12. IDENTIFY BELOW THOSE PERSONS WHO ARE BELIEVED TO HAVE LAST KNOWLEDGE OF AIRCRAFT AND INDICATE BASIS FOR SAME:
Name in Full Grade S/N Basis
Bernard H. Mahoney 1st Lt O-799203 Sighted
13. SURVIVING PERSONNEL: Unknown
14. ATTACH sketch
15. ATTACH Eyewitness description
16. GIVE NAME, GRADE, AND SERIAL NUMBER OF OFFICER IN CHARGE OF SEARCH, IF ANY, INCLUDING DESCRIPTION AND ?????? IMMEDIATE SEARCH WAS MADE BY CRASH BOATS WHO SAW A PLANE CRASH IN THE WATER. WRECKAGE WAS SEEN BURNING BUT PILOT WAS NOT FOUND. NAME OF OFFICER IN CHARGE OF SEARCH WAS NOT OBTAINED. SEARCH WAS NOT MADE BY OUR PLANES ON 3 FEB 45 DUE TO BAD WEATHER AND PLANES WERE SENT TO LUZON THE FOLLOWING DAY ???? CHANGE OF STATION.

17. REMARKS OR WITNESS STATEMENT: I was flight leader of four (4) P-47 airplanes on a cover convoy mission to Southwest Bohol Island. Two of the planes in my flight snafued, but Lt. Peterson and I continued to our destination. After completing our cover mission, were on our way back to Tanauan Aristrip, Leyte Island. We had come in over the top of the overcast to the coast just south of Dulag Airstrip and had let down from 6,000 feet to 4,000 feet through a hole in the overcast. Lt. Peterson was seen by me at 1945/? , just as we leveled off under the overcast. I started a gentle turn to continue on to our home field, which was in sight, and looked around, but could not see Lt. Peterson. I called on the radio, but received no answer although we had perfect radio contact until that time. I started to circle in search of him and just as I had started to turn I observed a reflection against the clouds as if caused by an explosion. I dropped down to 2,000 feet and saw a fire in the water, but could not identify it as an airplane. I then called Velvet Tower and Austere and told them I believed my wing-man had crashed and gave them the location. Crash boats made a search of the approximate location and found the wreckage of an airplane burning in the water but could find no trace of the pilot. This was an after dark flight.

Bernard M. Mahoney
1st Lt Air Corps
Flight Leader 340th Ftr. Sq.

PF
Lt Col

Re: 2nd Lt Herbert H. Peterson MIA 2 Feb 45.

Post by PF »

Peterson in listed on Tablets of the Missing at Manila ABMC Cemetery
Awarded Purple Heart

340th Fighter Squadron History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/340th_Fighter_Squadron

AALLENPETE
Private

Re: 2nd Lt Herbert H. Peterson MIA 2 Feb 45.

Post by AALLENPETE »

i HAVE POSTED A REWARD WITH LOCAL DIVE SHOPS IN HOPE THEY'LL HAVE A DATA BASE OF WRECKAGE ON THE BOTTOM OF LEYTE GULF.

ANY COMMENTS ON THE REWARD?

REWARD AS FOLLOWS:

I am looking for a P-47D-23, S/N: 42-28020 which crashed on 2 Feb 1945, 5 miles south of Dulag Airstrip, off of Leyte Island. This distance was estimated by my uncle’s flight leader, who saw the fire on the water. A dive map showed the water depth to be 8 meters.

I will pay 1,500 Philippine Pesos each for the following:

1. The first photographs of any part of the plane displaying the above serial number and the GPS coordinates of the wreckage. To the best of my research, the S/N appears on the vertical stabilizer, perhaps abbreviated and the number might appear as “228020” or “28020.” It was also on the left side of the fuselage under the canopy in the format “42-8020.” I do not expect this plane to be intact.

2. The “dog-tags” of the pilot, Herbert H. Peterson. These are the small metallic tags usually worn on a chain around the neck and used for positive ID of human remains. The return of other personal items, if found, would also be appreciated.

3. Human remains. Unlikely as it may seem, if human remains are found in or near the aircraft, another reward will be paid as soon as they are confirmed to be my uncle’s by the military search team. My uncle’s P-47 would have looked similar to the drawing attached.

Thank you for your assistance,

Arvid Allen Peterson