Lt. Weber, USAAF

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

MGMartin
Corporal

Lt. Weber, USAAF

Post by MGMartin »

I am searching for any information on a Lt. Weber, USAAF. The veterans of the 39th FS Association (39th FS, 35th FG, 5th AAF) are working to reconstruct their early WWII history - - much of which has been lost. There is memory of a Lt. Weber flying with the 39th during the March - June 1942 time frame. Lt. Weber died in a aircraft accident while flying an RAAF aircraft. In a gesture of friendship by some RAAF personnel, Lt. Weber was offered an opportunity to fly an Australian "kite". The aircraft was not assigned to the 39th nor was Lt. Weber assigned to an RAAF unit. I would also like to know if the term "kite" was used in reference to any aircraft or used in reference to a specific aircraft. I know this is limited information with which to work but the search for information is just beginning.

Mary Martin
Member, 39th FS Association

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Hi Mary,

I've had a brief look through my files here and am yet to find anything relating to Lt Weber ... yet.

Do you have any further details? Perhaps Lt Weber's first name(s) or an approximate date of crash?
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

MGMartin
Corporal

Lt. Weber, USAAF

Post by MGMartin »

Thank you, Daniel.

Additional information received today from Charles O'Sullivan (pilot - 39th FS). Lt. Weber is believed to be 2ndLt Francis R. Weber who, in February 1942, was billeted along with several other USAAF pilots at an RAAF air base near Melbourne. They were awaiting assignment to a US unit and may have already been officially assigned to the 39th. At that time, the 39th was aboard ship enroute to AUS from the US. It is recalled that Lt. Weber was flying solo in a "Tiger Moth training plane" when the plane crashed and Lt. Weber was killed. It is believed this accident occured in February 1942.

Might there be an accident report on this incident in Australian records? We are looking for documentation confirming (or not) Lt. Weber's assignment to the 39th.

Regards,

Mary