USS Peary

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

tanker5117
Private

USS Peary

Post by tanker5117 »

Hi, I am new to this site and found while searching for information about the USS Peary, an American destroyer that was sunk by the japanese near Darwin, Australia in 1942. My uncle was a crewman aboard that ship and was killed in the bombing. Recently, I found an article concerning this, which mentioned a survivor, Ben Greer. I was wondering if he might still be alive? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Tanker

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Based on this 7.30 Report transcript, Ben Greer is one of only two living survivors from the Peary:
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2002/s485505.htm

Just FYI, here are some details of the Peary Memorial at Darwin, which includes the names of those killed on board during the Japanese raid of February 19, 1942:
http://www.skp.com.au/memorials/pages/80019.htm
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

Janet
Private

Re: USS Peary

Post by Janet »

Hi. I was just searching for images of the USS Peary for my son's school project and discovered your query! It sent shivers down my spine as I was surprised to find images of my Dad at the 60th Anniversary up in Darwin. There's a great little museum out on the point that has lots of info on the bombing. There was also an exhibition at the Maritime Museum in Sydney!
I'm the daughter of Ben Greer who is the last remaining living survivor of the USS Peary's bombing. My Dad has just turned 90 this year and is a legend! Thank god for the Yanks!!!! So sorry to here your Uncle went down with the ship. I can't even imagine how horrible that would have been. Dad was lucky to keep on with a job in Sydney after the war. He married my Aussie Mum back in Washington DC and they had 5 kids. I've been living in Sydney for 20 years and loving it! Let me know what your Uncle's name and I'll ask my Dad if he remembers him? All the best. Janet

FLETPA2
Private

Post by FLETPA2 »

Hi Janet,

My father also was a survivor of the USS Peary ship that went down in Feb 1942.
I am one of his 3 daughters. His name was Victor J Cosey a radioman during that time.
My father has sinced died in 1986 at age 66. I had many articles during that time that my Father kept in a scrap book, but due to elements most was destroyed. I am still trying to find news articles about my Father during that time. During the War his home town was in Far Rockaway NY. It's too bad my father died before the internet was available. He would have loved the interaction between friends, and History Buffs.
Would love to hear any other stories about the USS peary . Paulette

Mark57
Private

Post by Mark57 »

Hi Janet and everyone. My Uncle, Willis C Shook, Machinist's Mate, First Class went down with the ship. I'd love to share any information I have with you. My Dad (Willis's brother) is 87 and I know would love to find out anything about his brother if your Dad knew him. I have his navy head shot pic and some other battle group photos that Willis sent back. He was on the USS Saratoga in 1937 before moving to the Peary.

Mark