JPAC Deploys to South East Asia and Pacific

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

JPAC Deploys to South East Asia and Pacific

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Hi All,

Received this recently and thought people might be interested:
RELEASE 07-01
January 23, 2007

JPAC TEAMS DEPLOY TO SOUTHEAST ASIA AND PACIFIC

HICKAM AFB, HAWAII - Multiple JPAC teams departed Hawaii over the last two weeks for missions in Cambodia, Laos, Papua New Guinea and Palau. The teams will conduct multiple investigations and excavations in an effort to account for missing service members from the Vietnam War and
World War II.

CAMBODIA: Two recovery teams deployed on Jan. 11 to Cambodia for 35 days to excavate two sites associated with missing aircrew members from the Vietnam War. The first site involves two service members who were killed after their OH-6A helicopter was downed by enemy fire. The second site is associated with the loss of an AH-1G helicopter with one unaccounted-for crew member. This is the 37th Joint Field Activity in Cambodia.

LAOS: Four recovery teams deployed on Jan. 9 to Laos for 35 days to excavate four sites associated with missing service members from the Vietnam War. The sites are associated with the losses of five men. Three of the sites are associated with aircraft losses while the fourth is the result of a helicopter crash. This is the 97th Joint Field Activity in Laos.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA: Three recovery teams deployed on Jan. 18 to Papua New Guinea for 74 days to excavate four locations believed associated with World War II aircrew losses.

PALAU: One JPAC underwater recovery team, augmented with divers and equipment assigned to the Mobile Underwater Diving Salvage Unit 1, deployed yesterday to Palau to conduct an underwater excavation of a World War II aircraft loss. The mission is scheduled for 60 days.

Recovered evidence from all missions will be transferred to the JPAC
Central Identification Laboratory for analysis.
Though not confirmed, I am assuming the underwater site at Palau is that of B-24 42-73453:
http://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-24/42-73453.html

I would be very interested in learning about the Papua New Guinean sites also.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

Jeff
Private

Post by Jeff »

was there any pictures of the discovery of the B-24J-80 Serial Number 42-100225 Tail V
I believe it was discovered in 2002 and the remains of the airmen were all buried in April of 2006...

why I ask is that Sgt Marshall Borofsky was my mother's 1st cousin, and growing up as a kid the family always would talk about never getting closure until recently.

Thank You,

Jeff