F/O Willis F. Evers

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Watts
Private

F/O Willis F. Evers

Post by Chuck Watts »

Hi! I am a relative of Flight Officer Willis F. Evers, who was shot down on the 2 November, 1943 mission to Rabaul. This would be the same mission Lt. Francis S. Love was lost on.
I am looking for information about the exact location of Evers' wreck. Evers was with the 8'th FG 80'th FS. Where were these 2 men in relation to one another enroute to the target area(s)? Can anyone help me find information regarding the route to the target? Both men's squadrons took off from Dobodura that day, I am told.
Some of the info that I have regarding the crash site is that it was a plantation of some sort. What kind? What about Latitude/Longitude?
Discovery of Evers' wreck was made by a timber surveyor. Close family members recall that it was remarkably close to a road. Still, the site wasn't found and investigated until June, 1986. His remains were identified in 1989, a few months after his father's death.
Were any items from the wreckage turned over to the museum in Kokopo? Maybe someone who has scouted wrecks in PNG has been to this crash site, although not a lot of material remained from P-38G 43-2203. The military map location is MA159 178.
Anybody have any answers? Chuck Watts