Haunted Pacific

Forum for people who have traveled to Pacific locations, or are planning trips.

Moderator: Moderator

Dan King
2nd Lieutenant

Haunted Pacific

Post by Dan King »

Has anyone encountered odd or strange experiences while touring Pacific battlefields?

I went to Rabaul with Gary Wachter and Tom McLeod in '03. A local native showed us to the "Yamamoto command bunker" but refused to go in with us.

Inside I attempted to photograph some original Japanese writing on the wall but my new digital camera malfunctioned each time. Only the L & R edges of the photo came out. The center was black as night.

I then took a photo of Gary and it came out. So tried the writing but it was black again. I took the camera outside the bunker and put new batteries in, took a photo of our guide and everything seemed fine.

But, once again I couldn't photograph the writing on the wall. So I asked permission in Japanese to the spirit that was protecting the wall and then was able to take the photo. No joke. Gary and I still talk about it.

When I asked the guide about the phenomenon he said "Many man from Japan come here. The cameras break, no good".

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have had several others....

Macca
Corporal

Post by Macca »

Hi Dan,
Haven't had this experience in the Pacific but have had similar "spooky" experiences while researching my Grandfather's missing plane - in particular the way obscure information just seemed to fall into my lap...I remember thinking that it would be great to speak to the pilot of the aircraft who left 20 minutes after my grandfather's aircraft back in 1945 but thought it would be impossible to track him down. Within about 30 minutes of having that thought I came across an obscure picture of the same gentlemen by accident (clicked on the wrong link on a website). I was then given his phone number from Peter Dunn from ozatwar (if memory serves me correctly) and that afternoon I was fortunate enough to have a phone conversation with the abovementioned pilot. Also had plenty of phone calls from relatives of the missing men and from our own family about some strange events at the time and recently...

Dan King
2nd Lieutenant

Grandfather's plane

Post by Dan King »

Hi Macca,
I have had similar things happen which made me beleive something or someone was guiding me. Obscure information falls into my lap, or people call me out of the blue with related facts.

I'm not overly religious but feel there is a spiritual realm out there we can't see (or chose to ignore).

I was on Rabaul and met a local Auzzie who found a crashed B-25 with crew inside. He gathered the bones and kept them in a cardboard box in his house (to safeguard them once word got out) until the recovery team from Hawaii could arrive. The night before the US team from Hawaii arrived he heard many men in hard-soled boots walking quickly around his veranda. (the locals don't wear boots.)

He felt the crewmen were excited to be returned and given a proper burial. It could have been just his imagination but then again...

delaurentius
Private

Re: Haunted Pacific

Post by delaurentius »

there are more things in heaven and earth...
(shakespeare)
For us living it's all long time ago, for them in the other world, time and space doesn't exist.
RIP

christineb1979
Private

Post by christineb1979 »

Scary... Haunted Pacific?....
Some tips for a dog trainer: weimaraner chewing and aggressive weimaraner.

lvmyers
Private

Post by lvmyers »

I have always been told by Locals to ask permission of jungle spirits to travel in thier domain. I am not overly superstitious but I have followed this advice in the past and I have had items of WWII atrifacts mysteriously appear in streams I was walking in... pieces of Japanese rice bowls and bottles etc... Seems to work for me! When in Rome!!

Meetoo
Private

Post by Meetoo »

Aloha everyone! I realize that this is not in New Guinea but it deals with Pearl Harbor I am retired from the Navy and Subase Pearl Harbor was my first duty station. I feel with everything that happened on 07 Dec 41 this area is haunted. You can actually feel death and all the anguish. I lived on Ford island for a while and use to do a lot of walking around the island. There were officers quarters that were abandon for years. Well one night during my walk all the toilets started flushing. Mind you there was NO one around. There there are times you can hear the squadron of Japanese fighters. It is just the way the winds blow and it sounds like planes. The officers quarters in as been renovated and is now a Navy Lodge.

The Pacific aviation Musuem is also haunted.there have been reports that the maniquins in the Musuem move around at night when they are closed. A lot of the buildings still have all the bullet holes in them either on Hickam AFB or the navy side. The USS Utah is on the other side of Ford island and it is called the forgotten memorial. Again you can feel death and anguish. I actually got to go to New Guinea and Australia in march. I was following my dads footsteps. He was an gunner on A 20s . He was arttached with the 89th bomb Squadron. 5 th Air Force. I live on Maui and travel to Oahu every couple of weeks.i hope you all enjoy my post.