US P39 Aircobra recovery on Guadalcanal

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

joad
2nd Lieutenant

US P39 Aircobra recovery on Guadalcanal

Post by joad »

JPAC have been in Honiara for the last few weeks. They have been quite busy and this news story appeared in yesterday's Solomon Star. The aeroplane and pilot have been recovered within the Honiara town boundary, I am sorry I don't know the hill number. But for anyone who knows it is about 1/2 way between Point Cruz and Henderson Field, about 3 kilometres inland from the coast. There is a photograph in the news story. The aeroplane is a P39 Aircobra.

Link to story here http://www.solomonstarnews.com/news/nat ... lane-found

US fighter plane found
Monday, 02 December 2013 12:50

The aircraft which was found in swampy area behind the Lau Valley near the LDA area.

The aircraft which was found in swampy area behind the Lau Valley near the LDA area. Photo supplied.
The wreckage of a second world war US fighter plane 382 has been found in a swampy area behind Lau Valley, near the former livestock development authority (LDA) area in East Honiara.

The discovery was said to have been made last year.

The man who found the plan said following the discovery arrangement was made with the US family whose relative was the pilot of the aircraft.

For the whole of last week a team from US including members of the immediate family of the fallen soldier have unearthed the plane with the help of locals.

And they managed to discover the pilot’s remains with some war time items.

Details of the aircraft and the pilot as to how and when the aircraft crashed at the site were not immediately available.

The man who found the aircraft but declined to reveal his identity said he did found the plane last year when clearing the swampy area to plant taro.

“I found it last year. But I do not want it to be put it out in the media.”

With the second world war being fought in the country, many old world war relics such as aircraft and unexploded world war II ordnance, including grenades, mortars and high explosive shells are still lying around in parts of the country where the war was fought.

By ALFRED PAGEPITU

joad
2nd Lieutenant

Re: US P39 Aircobra recovery on Guadalcanal

Post by joad »

sorry fellows - the aeroplane is actually a P38 Lightning.

On Wednesday the Guadalcanal Premier fired off a pretty ill-informed statement on SIBC. The aeroplane was is not being removed, it was found last year by a fellow making a vegetable garden. Noo fees were paid to the national government.

link to the story here: http://www.sibconline.com.sb/story.asp? ... News=36655

PANGA ON U.S FIGHTER PLANE.
Posted at 16:41 hrs 4/12/2013

In brief: Guadalcanal Premier Steven Panga has condemned the removal of the U-S fighter plane from the Lau Valley Area.
Guadalcanal Premier Steven Panga has condemned the removal of the U-S fighter plane from the Lau Valley Area.

The war relic was discovered in the area last week by a resident of the area.

Premier Panga said according to provincial ordinance and jurisdiction, the remains of the fighter plane is located on customary land and should not be removed.

The premier told S-I-B-C News, the actions taken to remove the fighter plane was disrespectful to his provincial government and the Guadalcanal people.

He said his government should have been notified before the World War 2 relic could be removed.

Panga says those responsible for the discovery and removal of the fighter plane must follow the legal procedure.

S-I-B-C News understands an unspecified fee will be paid to the national government for the World War 2 relic.