Father's A-20 serial number

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

yogidad
Private

Father's A-20 serial number

Post by yogidad »

Can anyone help please?

I am looking for my father's A-20 serial number so I can get an authentic wooden A-20 built. I suspect a A-20G (block 10) from available documentation but it's possible the A-20G, "The Yankee Kid" was a Block 20 or above equipped with back turrent machine guns.

My father, Flight Officer then Lt. George F. O'Neal, was in the 89th Attack Squadron, 3rd Bomb Group (light) at Dobodura and Nadzab airfields in New Guinea from the summer of 1943 until early March 1944.

Lt. George F. ONeal was shot down on 7 Jan 44 flying a A-20 at Arawe and recieved a DFC and Purple Heart for his actions that day.
From 5th AF History: 3rd Group Missions Jan 44

Date Mission # A/C Squadron Area Comments

07-Jan-44 7-I-1 12 A-20 89 Arawe Bombed and strafed Amalut Plantation. 1 A-20 crashed on reef off Amalut Plantation. Crew seen in life raft heading for shore - all apparently safe. May have been brought down by "friendly" A/A fire. Several other A-20's were holed by friendly A/A fire.

Dad, the gunner, and photographer were rescued by the "Navy". I suspect by Patrol Squadron 34, a PBY Catalina patrol and rescue squadron based at Samarai Advanced Seaplane Base in Milne Bay, New Guinea.

My father died flying an airplane in 1985. He was a AAF Sergeant at Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec 41, became a "flying Sergeant", and eventually retired as a Lt Colonel Command Pilot in 1965.

I know his whole story except which block number A-20G he was shot down in on 7 Jan 44 and who in the "Navy" rescued him and his crew.

Yogi - My F-4 callsign and my son's F-16 callsign

W.J.Swain
Sergeant

Re: Father's A-20 serial number

Post by W.J.Swain »

Yogi..

Author Larry Hickey wants to contact you about your dads A-20

Larry Hickey
E-mail Address(es):
larry@irandpcorp.com

Bill
A&P Mechanic/ QA Inspector for 26 Years. Researching and building a Database on the Grim Reapers.

yogidad
Private

Post by yogidad »

Bill...

Thank you for your reply. I will contact Larry Hickey. I have several photo's and other documentation from my father's time with the Grim Reapers in New Guinea that I am willing to share if you are interested.

Yogi

W.J.Swain
Sergeant

Post by W.J.Swain »

Yogi..

Glad you are going to contact Hickey.. Any info would be deeply appreciated!.. In return, I do have a large collection of photos of the 3rd ( dad brought back over 400 pics) that I would share. Please drop me a pm and I'll give you my email address..

Bill
A&P Mechanic/ QA Inspector for 26 Years. Researching and building a Database on the Grim Reapers.