Dakota wreckage near Kaisenik PNG

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

cliffman
Private

Dakota wreckage near Kaisenik PNG

Post by cliffman »

Hi there , I am a new member posting this as an enquiry for any info on a crashed Dakota with USAF markings that i visited in the late 70's in PNG near Wau.
I remember it was within walking distance of the famous "Grey Ghost" B17 wreck and we started our trip to it from a village called Kaisenik.
I photographed the number "31620" on its tail plane. I made a number of notes at the time i visited it and I would be happy to correspond with anyone who seeks access to
my observations back in about 1978. The local guide told us that there was one survivor but i don't vouch for the accuracy of that statement. I am interested to hear of any factual info
on how it came to be located at its resting place.
Cheers, Cliffman, Sydney, Australia

RSwank
Captain

Re: Dakota wreckage near Kaisenik PNG

Post by RSwank »

I think the serial number is mission the last digit. 43-1620 is not the serial number of a C-47, but the series 43-1620? is a series of C-47s. Both 43-16204 and 43-16205 are listed as being lost in New Guinea. 43-16205 was ground looped so can't be this wreck.

But 43-16204 is listed as being lost in the Wau Valley on 19 February 45. The pilot is listed as Jacob E Wandaal, and there were deaths in the crash. The plane was from the 360th Service Group.

cliffman
Private

Post by cliffman »

Thanks so much, I have found some notes I made in 1978 and they record the full number was 16204 (the last number did not appear in my photograph) - you are correct - my apologies for not consulting my notes. I will order the accident report and post a summary of that report combined with my observations, for example, my notes record that the plane was resting on its back in relatively intact condition, there were bullet holes in the tail plane and part of the wreckage included at least one small engine block.

cliffman
Private

Post by cliffman »

War Deportment report states:

C37 took off from Nadzab approximately 8.30 enroute to Port Moresby. At approximately 8.55 the pilot spotted a wrecked airplane (an old B17). Letting down to investigate the pilot saw what he believed to be the survivor of the crash. He let down onto the Wau valley in attempt to drop message and was unable to climb out in the direction he chose. The radio operator and crew chief were standing by the rear door with parachutes on so as to drop the message, when they realized their predicament, and they attempted a jump. Radio operator was saved by landing in a tree. Crew chief was killed. Student radio operator, standing by rear door, was only one to survive crash.

Report lists 9 occupants of plane including pilot. Contrary to above the other section of the report lists all crew as suffering "death" except for the two radio crew who apparently survived the initial crash albeit the one with the parachute having been injured, the one without the parachute incurring no injury.