Roy M Young Service ID 0-692112

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

smil1025
Corporal

Roy M Young Service ID 0-692112

Post by smil1025 »

I am looking for any information on a Roy M Young, Service ID 0-692112. He is a MIA on 8/15/1945 in the South Pacific. Rank: First Lieutenant
Service: U.S. Army Air Forces
Service ID: 0-692112
Division: 793rd Bomber Squadron, 468th Bomber Group, Very Heavy
Data Source: World War II Honor Roll He is originally from Texas, Swister County. He was born 1921 and went MIA on 8/15/1945.

Thank you very much,
Sandie Miller
Columbia, SC

shootski
Private

Re: Roy M Young Service ID 0-692112

Post by shootski »

This will be a long post.

I have the Missing Air Crew Report also, but it is in PDF and you can't attach those.

aschutte@cinci.rr.com if you want a copy.

Al (shootski)

There are three sections below, separated by *******

From the History of the 468th Bomb Group, as posted on their site. (I am the Webmaster.)

The second mission was on the 5th of June to the Kobe Urban Industrial Area in which 28% of the built up area was reduced to ashes. On this strike we lost the fine Crew of Captain “Hap” Arnold and all his men who had been with us since the formation of the Squadron at Salina. The men were close friends and the loss was stunning. (Editor's note: They went to Russia and were held prisoner until mid-1945.)

A/C Mingtoy 25 was in a 313th Bomb Wing formation with Major McPherson in A/C 2. They were the only aircraft of our Group in this formation and they joined it between Initial Point and Primary Target. The formation dropped their bombs without incident. Enemy aircraft attacked from the bomb release line until course to land’s end. At which time the fighters broke off and there was a long space in which no opposition was met.

A Tojo fighter attacked the formation from 12 o’clock high. The enemy aircraft appeared to come from the sea. He went through the entire formation until slightly below and in front of Capt. Robert Arnold, who was flying on the right outside, at this point the fighter rolled over on his left and broke off over and in front of A/C 25 strafing as he went up.

Immediately #1 engine started streaming smoke. This was at 340 23N/1360 05E at 15,000 ft. altitude while the formation was on a heading of 1160 true at midnight. Major McPherson’s Crew reports that Arnold’s aircraft peeled off to the left directly under his position on the left of formation and started a wide 3600 turn with the left wing down. Although no severe smoke or fire was seen from the aircraft, the left wing never came up and continued on descending circles until out of sight. It was estimated by this Crew that both Pilot and Co-Pilot were mortally wounded from the fighter attack, as the aircraft appeared controllable. The 468th Bomb Group formation that followed reported seeing a B-29 at approximately this time, making a wide circle to the right and losing altitude with #1 engine trailing smoke. This formation led by our A/C 46 passed right over this aircraft, assumed to be Arnold, as it crossed from left to right and parachutes began to appear and nine were definitely counted by Captain Doherty and Crew in A/C 29 while Lt. Britton of the 794th in A/C 47 reported possibly ten. All aircraft of this formation saw at least seven chutes. The chutes were seen to come out while the aircraft was at 8,000 ft. altitude. Enemy fighters were seen to fly through the open parachutes and it was variously reported that they were strafing the chutes or they were still chasing the damaged aircraft. It was last seen with both #1 and #2 engines trailing smoke. No distress message was heard over the radio. The aircraft went into dive, recovered and was observed to crash and explode on a hill reported from 340 20N to 340 14N and 1360 05E to 1360 20E.

The following is the load list of A/C 665:

Capt. Robert T. Arnold
1st Lt. Garman
1st Lt. Roy M. Young
F/O Melvin Wolf
Sgt. Joseph R. McDaniel
S/Sgt. Charles Vreeland
S/Sgt. Glenn C, Huhnstock
S/Sgt. Theodore P. Ladd
S/Sgt. Kenneth R. Kirkland
Cpl. Theodore Mainero

From www.findagrave.com

Mack Young was born in Lockney, Floyd County, Texas, the son of Erwin Elgan Young and Hattie Mae McCune. On September 11, 1943, he married Pansy Rae Eaves in San Antonio, Texas.

He was a First Lieutenant,793rd Bomber Squadron, 468th Bomber Group (Very Heavy), U.S. Army Air Forces and his aircraft was shot down shot down in Shorenji, Nabari City, Mie Prefecture on June 5, 1945 . He, along with nine others, was captured and he died on August 15, 1945 in Osaka Kempei Tai Prison, Honshu, Japan. He was listed as missing at the Honolulu ABMC Memorial , but his body was recovered in 1948 and returned to his family in the states. He was then buried next to his parents and grandparents in Kress Cemetery.

He was survived by his wife, his parents, five sisters and three brothers.

From the History of the 468th Bomb Group, as posted on their site. (I am the Webmaster.)

#44-69665 - MACR 14390

473 aircraft are participating in Kobe air raids, Mie prefecture Nabari city. Attacked by Japanese fighters after bombing Kobe and shot down in Shorenji,
Nabari City, Mie Prefecture. 2 KIA, 9 POW. Shot down by First Division Squadron Captain Mitsuyoshi Yamanaka.

Captain Arnold’s chute failed to open. Huhnstock died in the crash and was buried by locals in Nara Prefecture Uda Murou City district.

6 POWs were captured in Mie Prefecture and moved to Nagoya, then executed at Tokai Army Headquarters.

3 POWs were moved to Osaka Kempei Tai Headquarters and later died of disease, injury or execution: 1st Lt. Roy M. Young; S/Sgt. Theodore F. Ladd; S/Sgt.
Kenneth L. Kirtland Lt. Young was fatally injured (burns) and taken to the central police headquarters by the medical crew.

Staff Sergeant Ladd was found on the fifth day, Kirkland in the next six days at Nara Prefecture Uda County. They were taken to the Haibara police station, Nara
district police headquarters and most likely executed.
Attachments
1945-06-05-Arnold-Crew-Young-Roy.jpg
1945-06-05-Arnold-Crew-Young-Roy.jpg (43.19 KiB) Viewed 7084 times
1945-06-05-Arnold-Crew-Young-Roy-FA-marker.jpg
1945-06-05-Arnold-Crew-Young-Roy-FA-marker.jpg (141.16 KiB) Viewed 7084 times

PF
Lt Col

Post by PF »

qraven
Private

Post by qraven »

I have a question in regard to this post about the body being recovered. As my Grandfather had always told me Mack's body is not buried as they never brought him home. Mack is my great uncle and I would like to know how do I find out if he really was sent home. Only 2 of his siblings are still living and both say he was never sent home. Thank you Sandie for the help .. this is me Vicki ... still trying to figure this out. I did find a journal he kept.

RSwank
Captain

Post by RSwank »

Roy M Young is still listed as MIA on the official military files. Here is a link:
http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/wwii/reports/aaf_m_y.htm

This implies that his body was never found, so it was never returned from overseas.