VC/VT-38 squadron

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Wagarchgrp
Private

VC/VT-38 squadron

Post by Wagarchgrp »

Looking for info on this squadron based at Munda and bougainville 43-44.

djltucker
Corporal

Re: VC/VT-38 squadron

Post by djltucker »

My uncle William Larson was a pilot of the TBF in Squadron VC 38 in June of 1943 who went on to fight in the Solomon Island campaign. what info are you looking for?

don Larson
Portland OREGON
USA

Wagarchgrp
Private

Post by Wagarchgrp »

Don, thanks for the response, I haven't been on this site since I posted the note. My Dad was also in VT-38, and amazingly, was the radioman on your uncles plane. I have my Dad's log, and on December 15, 1943, he entered, "Left Munda for our rehabilitation in Sydney, Australia.". On December 27, his entry reads, "Mr. Larson was killed returning from Sydney. The DC he was flying in crashed after leaving New Caledonia." I have a lot of photos that he took, including one of you uncle. Would be happy to share anything I have that you might be interested in. Would be interested to know what you or your family may have that documents that unit and time, not much that I've been able to find. You can contact me at wagarchgrp@aol.com. Thanks again for the response.
Walt Wagner
Carlsbad, CA
The USS Midway in San Diego has a TBF on the hangar deck, alone with an SBD and F4.

djltucker
Corporal

Post by djltucker »

Hi Walt,

I sent you a email via your aol account with my contact info and additional items attached. Message me if you don't receive - picture was a large file.

Thanks

Don Larson