Found an underwater wreck - questions

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

kilolima
Private

Found an underwater wreck - questions

Post by kilolima »

Hi,

I found a USAAF WWII P-40 aircraft wreck in US waters. What can I legally do with it? Is it protected by the government or can it be salvaged? If it can't be salvaged, what are the best steps to insure its protection? I don't believe it's in very salvage-able condition, though, just the engine block, cockpit, and debris from the wings and landing gear remain.

Cheers,

kilolima

PF
Lt Col

Re: Found an underwater wreck - questions

Post by PF »

Check with US Department of Defense

Octivus
Private

Re: Found an underwater wreck - questions

Post by Octivus »

The best anwser I can provide you is to consult a lawyer who specializes in admiralty law to investigate the legal ownership of the wreck. Just because a plane is submerged and abandoned does not always mean it is free of title. In the case of warbirds, it is exceptionally rare to find one in U.S. waters that has not already been located. Many states protect these sites even though they may not be widely known.

If the wreck is in fresh water, it might be a viable for recovery. If the wreck is in salt water, then almost nothing would be salvageable. If you are unfimiliar with what it takes to stabilize metal objects recovered from salt water, it would be worth while to look at the web site for the resotoration of the CSS Hunley. Many a warbird has crumbled after being pulled from the ocean and left exposed to the air.

If you just want to let the plane rest in peace, I would recommend contacting the office of your state archaeologist. Most states have a form you can download or they will mail you in which you can report finding an archaeological site. The state will catalogue the finding and you never know, someday one of your local colleges might go out and do a full survey of the wreck.