Does anyone know what a 'float flow' was?

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Dave Homewood
Sergeant

Does anyone know what a 'float flow' was?

Post by Dave Homewood »

Looking through the No. 1 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron RNZAF Operations Record Book I have noted an entry where crews on a particular mission were briefed attackenemy 'float flows' at Green Island when they made their raid.

The entry in the ORB is the 26th of November 1943 and reads exactly thus (poor punctuation and all):

"Four aircraft were ordered to proceed to Green Lisland N.W. of Buka to destroy enemy float flows, bomb and strafe platantion areas destroy shipping and barges and report on A.A. emplacements. The aircraft took off from Munda 1215 hours. All aircraft successfully carried out mission bombing and strafing target areas and sinking one barge. No float flows or A.A. were observed. All aircraft returned to Munda 16.35-16.40 hours.
Flt Lt King and Crew
Flt Lt Spicer and crew
F/O Mounsey and crew
P/O Page and crew"

I have never heard of this term before. Does anyone know what it is 'float flows' referring to? I have already asked this question on my forum (see below) and thoguh it's a guess the best suggestion has been perhaps it was a floatplane mooring area? Can anyone confirm what they were please?
http://rnzaf.proboards43.com/index.cgi? ... 296&page=1

RSwank
Captain

Re: Does anyone know what a 'float flow' was?

Post by RSwank »

I believe this was a method to try and resupply island units by floating supplies ashore in metal drums strung together. These chains would be released off shore and would float in on the tide. There is reference to such methods here:
http://www.dutcheastindies.webs.com/tanaka.html

Dave Homewood
Sergeant

Re: Does anyone know what a 'float flow' was?

Post by Dave Homewood »

Thanks very much for that information.