C-39 Crash at Alice Springs

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Anthony J. Mireles
Captain

C-39 Crash at Alice Springs

Post by Anthony J. Mireles »

Looking for the names of the four USAAF fliers who were killed in the crash of C-39 # 38-505 northeast of Alice Springs, Australia, on May 25, 1942. Need names of crew, what kind of crash, and location/territory of Alice Springs. I have found the Alice River and the town of Alice, Queensland, but I can't find Alice Springs. Where is it? Thanks, TonyM.

P-40 Petey
Corporal

Re: C-39 Crash at Alice Springs

Post by P-40 Petey »

That Alice Springs would be Northern Territory. About 24S/134E. In that vicinity.

Pete

Anthony J. Mireles
Captain

Thanks. I found it on-line eventually. But I had trouble finding it on the NGS map that I was using when first doing the research and writing the post. Alice Springs is way in there.

I still need information concerning this C-39 crash. It is part of a bigger, really worth-while project concerning Pacific Theater USAAF air crashes. I'd like to thank those few who are kind enough to respond to my threads and offer information. Thanks.

Anthony J. Mireles
FATAL ARMY AIR FORCES AVIATION ACCIDENTS IN THE UNITED STATES, 1941-1945
http://www.warbirdcrash.com

GordyB2
1st Lieutenant

Post by GordyB2 »

What? lacking a picture?

Heres the tail of VHCCA

There is a full list of the occupants,..somewhere

Lets help out

Best
Gordy
Attachments
C-39 38-505 Crash Alice Springs.jpeg
C-39 38-505 Crash Alice Springs.jpeg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

GordyB2
1st Lieutenant

Post by GordyB2 »

Here's some details per the RAAF Personel

Have to search for the rest sometime

I'll get back to you in the next few weeks

Best
'Gordy
Attachments
C-39 38-505 VH-CCA Small.jpg
C-39 38-505 VH-CCA Small.jpg (50.63 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

GordyB2
1st Lieutenant

Post by GordyB2 »

Okay,..further on.

Two of the crew were a Lt O'Neill and a Sgt Rolfe M Smith

I think they were 21st TCS

O'Neill should be one of the following:

O'NEILL BRIAN nmi O-022509 1LT NY MITCHEL Fd
O'NEILL RAYMOND E. O-005561 LTC WA CHANUTE Fd
O'NEILL WILLIAM A. O-425102 2LT HAMILTON Fd 34th PS 35th PG

My gut instinct, with the employment of several ex PI Pilots at the time suggest William A.O'Neill but maybe the Skipper and since I've got this going along, someone else can do the rest.They were badly burnt and their remains were buried in the USAFIA Cemetary in Adelaide late May. Perhaps there's a .xls list like the Ipswich USAFIA one

The aircraft actually was tasked to collect a Cargo load that was stranded at Alice Springs when C-53 41-20053, also of the 21st TCS had to be diverted to Townsville on the 23rd May 42. They took off from Batchelor to proceed to Alice Springs to collect the cargo

The aircraft had actually forced landed the day before (24/05/42) some 5 miles away from Conner's Well, about 50 miles north of Alice Springs after flying back from Batchelor Strip. After being checked, without any apparent damage, it was flown to Alice Springs(Northern Territory) where it was again checked on the same day.

Although this cargo was found to have been already picked up by Lockheed VH-ADT , with the balance going by land transport and delivered to Daly Waters, there was a request from Lt O'Neill whether there was any backloading to go to Batchelor Strip. There was 20 cases of .303 cal Tracer (for the RAAF) and packets of bottled Blood Plasma needed urgently at Daly Waters. After recieving permission to backload from Archerfield(Qld) they loaded the cargo to deliver to Daly Waters.

Planned to take-off on the following day, Monday, at 0100hrs 25/05/42 it was delayed until 0355Hrs to take off. It was seen to bank to the north east of the Aerodrome whereupon it crashed and exploded in flames at 0357Hrs 25/05/42. Only one body was not burnt beyond recognition, that of Sgt Rolfe M Smith, USAAF.

Sad.

Regards
Gordy

Anthony J. Mireles
Captain

Gordy,

Thanks again for helping to fill in the blanks for me.

TonyM.

GordyB2
1st Lieutenant

Post by GordyB2 »

No problems, Mate, there's plenty left for all of us to fill in

Best
Gordy