B-24D crashes into Australian Army trucks

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Anthony J. Mireles
Captain

B-24D crashes into Australian Army trucks

Post by Anthony J. Mireles »

Hello Forum Members,

On September 8, 1943, B-24D # 42-40682 crashed while attempting a take-off at Jackson Airdrome, Port Moresby, PNG, killing the crew. The airplane collided with four trucks loaded with Australian Soldiers when it struck the ground, killing many of the troops. Does anyone know about this accident? I have the US Army Air Forces Form # 14 Aircraft Accident Report for this crash. The report says that numerous Australian Troops were killed. Can anyone tell me how many? Is there a list of their names? Any help regarding the Australian Army troops killed in this crash is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Anthony J. Mireles
Author
FATAL ARMY AIR FORCES AVIATION ACCIDENTS IN THE UNITED STATES, 1941-1945

West-Front
1st Lieutenant

Re: B-24D crashes into Australian Army trucks

Post by West-Front »

Hi

Try this resource first:

http://www.awm.gov.au/database/collection.asp

This incident where a US aircraft plowed into parked trucks is relatively well known, but I recall this being later in the war than 1942, so sadly perhaps there were other incidents involving AAF aircraft and Australian trucks.

Good luck

Anthony J. Mireles
Captain

West

Thanks for the link.

The date on the US Army Air Forces Form # 14 Aircraft Accident Report is September 8, 1943----Not 1942.

Still can't find a listing of the names of the men after several tries with the search engine.

Still looking for help. Looking for a list of the names of the men killed in this terrible accident.

Thanks

TonyM.

West-Front
1st Lieutenant

Post by West-Front »

Sorry, should have proof read my reply.

You could also e-mail this website:

http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/ozcrashes.htm

joad
2nd Lieutenant

Post by joad »

This is something I have read about, it happened in port moresby in september 1943. troops from the aust 7th Division were being delivered to transport planes to be flown over to reinforce attacks on Nadzab, American paratroops, supported by elements of the 2/4 field regiment and NGVR had been parachuted in there - there are famous pictures of same. As the troops were being taken to the transports a loaded american bomber failed to get off and went in at the end of the strip ploughing into some of the trucks ferrying troops to the transport planes. They had to clear up the mess and then get straight in the transports and fly across to Nadzab. I have read about it but unfortunately I dont have my books with me so I am going to have to be a bit vague, but it is covered in On Shaggy Ridge by Phillip Bradley published about two years ago.

West-Front
1st Lieutenant

Post by West-Front »

Anthony J. Mireles
Captain

Thanks for the response.

TonyM.

Dean
Sergeant

Post by Dean »

Hey West Front,
You may be confusing this crash in 1942 with the crash of a RAAF Beafort A9-557 which also crashed into army vehicles and killed 3 army personnel on 20 Jan 1945.