The Beautiful and Priceless Wrecks at Ballale Island Removed

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

GOH KL
Private

The Beautiful and Priceless Wrecks at Ballale Island Removed

Post by GOH KL »

What a sad ending for the "dream island" for the relic lovers!!

The Priceless Japanese Planes lined up untouched on old runways of Ballalle Island were taken by some people, what a waste for the heritage lovers!!

Look!!! The Betty bombers still have the Hiromaru Red Roundel after 66 years parked there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGdF0G-4v5E

Our friend Mr.Justin was also arrested for trying to stop the salvages

Andy in West Oz
Captain

Post by Andy in West Oz »

Interesting method of removal - shove it till it moves! Doesn't matter that Japanese wrecks are usually paper thin.

I'm in two minds about all of this.
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges

GOH KL
Private

Post by GOH KL »

Yup, you are right

They don't care, only if it can make Big Money!!!

In one sence they just push the wreck around so it can moved.

Too SAD to see this, mate

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Thanks for that video clip - It is greatly appreciated! Any idea of when that video was aired?

I had intended of visiting Ballale sometime in about 2009/10 ... As they mentioned in the interview - There's no point now.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

Mr.Chris
1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr.Chris »

That's great! Now somebody will get them restored, and back in the air.

West-Front
1st Lieutenant

Post by West-Front »

Now somebody will get them restored, and back in the air.
Or sell them on to a third party and reap the profits I would suggest .

Mr.Chris
1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr.Chris »

That's great too. Alot of people make money all the time. It's what capitalism is all about, unless you're a stalinist.

West-Front
1st Lieutenant

Post by West-Front »

Hey if they really want a rice factory for a B-17E in a swamp It's what capitalism is all about

Get the guy who's recovering SG for a third party to give the valuation for what its worth It's what capitalism is all about

Pay corruption money to Museum officials in order to circumvent the official and accepted system It's what capitalism is all about

You know what - your absolutely right - the end justifies the means....

Rip of the little guy - in this case the villagers - thats whats its all about.

Mr.Chris
1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr.Chris »

Hey if they really want a rice factory for a B-17E in a swamp It's what capitalism is all about
They have photos of it, and no many get out that way. Better to salvage it.
Get the guy who's recovering SG for a third party to give the valuation for what its worth It's what capitalism is all about
From who? A lawyer? It isn't worth beans until it's restored.
Pay corruption money to Museum officials in order to circumvent the official and accepted system It's what capitalism is all about
In a corrupt country, like the Solomons, possibly the only thing that works are corrupt methods. Take for instance, Mexico. You can't drive in your car 5 miles without giving out a bribe.
You know what - your absolutely right - the end justifies the means....
In a corrupt country, that's all you've got. Not that I would do it, I wouldn't.

Rip of the little guy - in this case the villagers - thats whats its all about.
The "little guy" may have no sense of value, and may try to overprice everything. The little guy may be more unreasonable the biggest of people.

West-Front
1st Lieutenant

Post by West-Front »

They have photos of it, and no many get out that way. Better to salvage it.
I'm perplexed at what thats supposed to refer or mean. but thanks for posting it

It isn't worth beans until it's restored.
And alternatively if they DON'T wish to sell it to you - you'd have to respect that surely ?
In a corrupt country, like the Solomons, possibly the only thing that works are corrupt methods.
And once again - then ends justify the means - I'm sure I read that in the PAC report about SG. By any means possible.....
Take for instance, Mexico. You can't drive in your car 5 miles without giving out a bribe.
Funny I was there in Feb 2005 and never paid a single bribe - maybe I should have - seems I've missed out.
In a corrupt country, that's all you've got. Not that I would do it, I wouldn't.
Or you can make stand not supoort it.
The "little guy" may have no sense of value, and may try to overprice everything. The little guy may be more unreasonable the biggest of people
Then the "Big" guy can set him straight right ?. Pay fair market price for it ?. Or would that eat into his profit margin, you tell me

Mr.Chris
1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr.Chris »

I'm perplexed at what thats supposed to refer or mean. but thanks for posting it
Try reading it again.

Quote:
It isn't worth beans until it's restored.

And alternatively if they DON'T wish to sell it to you - you'd have to respect that surely ?
Ah, so I've caught you making a broad generalization. That's a no no when talking about specific topics. "They" is too broad. In fact there are many who want to sell it, and then there are a few others who step in and block it. While at the same time an enterprising group of salvors got ripped off.

Quote:
In a corrupt country, like the Solomons, possibly the only thing that works are corrupt methods.
And once again - then ends justify the means - I'm sure I read that in the PAC report about SG. By any means possible.....
You bet, when the people you are dealing are treacherous, treachery is the only way to work with them.

Quote:
Take for instance, Mexico. You can't drive in your car 5 miles without giving out a bribe.
Funny I was there in Feb 2005 and never paid a single bribe - maybe I should have - seems I've missed out.
Where exactly did you go. Now I've caught you trying to deny that Mexico is corrupt. It is, and so again you are guilty of making generalizations.

Quote:

Or you can make stand not supoort it.

Why would I do that? I don't live there. It's their problem that they are corrupt.

Quote:
The "little guy" may have no sense of value, and may try to overprice everything. The little guy may be more unreasonable the biggest of people
Then the "Big" guy can set him straight right ?. Pay fair market price for it ?. Or would that eat into his profit margin, you tell me
How is the fair market price a made up value? That's just like saying the real is surreal.

West-Front
1st Lieutenant

Re: The Beautiful and Priceless Wrecks at Ballale Island Removed

Post by West-Front »

Solomon Star
01/07

WARPLANE remains controversially removed from Ballalae Island then held in a Ports Authority shed in Honiara have been quietly shipped to Australia.

The four World War Two Japanese planes were removed from Ballalae in the Shortland Islands but trouble then erupted. Ninamo Otuana, who claims registered title over the island, said he was pursuing the matter in court. He said he had sought an injunction to stop the planes being shipped overseas from Honiara. Mr Otuana alleged a small group of high profile people benefited from the deal under the name of the FAMOA trust board However, a Solomon Islands Ports Authority source confirmed the warplanes were shipped to Australia last month in two containers.

Ballalae was the site of a big Japanese airbase during World War Two. Hundreds of British prisoners of war were used by the Japanese to build the Ballalae runway and then massacred there.After the war the island was said to contain one of the largest collections of Japanese World War Two planes still intact.

The latest removal stirred anger amongst people who said the continuing removal of planes from Ballalae is stealing the area’s heritage. It was also taking tourism benefits away from future generations of Solomon Islanders.The then Opposition - now the Sikua Government - also voiced concern about the deal and whether it benefited the country. However, the plane removal is believed to have had support within the Sogavare Government An Australian by the name of Craig Turner is the person reported to have been spearheading the project to get the war relics overseas.

In 2003 Mr Turner was said to have been appointed senior advisor and director of the project by the then Tourism Minister, Alex Bartlett. As part of his remuneration package, he was said to have been granted an exclusive licence to remove 11 World War Two aircraft from Ballalae.
He was said to have been required among other tasks to assist with the development of a satellite museum at Ballalae and to train Solomon Islanders in conservation techniques.

A reliable source said Mr Turner said he had been director of an aircraft salvage museum. But the source said there was no evidence that this place existed.The source said that the appropriateness of granting an exclusive license to export items of national heritage to an advisor as part of his salary should be questioned. The source said the planes and plane parts removed from Ballalae have been used in aircraft restoration overseas. This has generated millions of dollars for the overseas restorers when the planes are bought and exhibited.

global
Corporal

Post by global »

Wow.

Amazing footage - thank you for posting

Was on my places to see - but obviously not now
Incidentally, won't be going to see them in their 'restored' state, where ever they are

The restorers just don't get it - there again because their actions are selfishly driven - I don't suppose they'd want to.
It's a bit like trampling over anyone to get what they want.

"Here, have some money - I want that - I'll buy it. You're in no position to argue - I'll throw more money at it if necessary".

Bet the locals don't see a single dime for this - the trumped up idea that no one goes there is exactly that - British relatives of the POWs have been to the island.

Still. Consideration doesn't really come into it does it? Never mind, eh?

rebel1222
Private

Post by rebel1222 »

I think it is a terrible shame that these planes have been removed. I was hoping to visit one day. I probably still would. I would like to visit all the old WW2 strips of the solomon area. I understand this would probably be a very expensive vacation.

Is there a tour plane company that would take you to visit all these locations? And are there any of theses locations that are forbidden to visit?

Mr.Chris
1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr.Chris »

I agree, it is a terrible shame that they were recovered. I just wish they were around a bit longer, so I could've removed a couple of the Zeros.