A-20 Havoc - Moreton bay #40-3154

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

mhd
Private

A-20 Havoc - Moreton bay #40-3154

Post by mhd »

Hi all

By way of introduction I'd like to put some info about my self, this being my first post

I am an avid diver actively searching for a number of WW2 aircraft wrecks in SE Qld and Northern NSW.

Active means I have my own towed sidescan sonar so hopefully I will find some eventually :-)

Currently we are looking for a post war DC3 and a wartime B-25 crash in the bay, but one I am keen to find more info about is a supposed A-20 Havoc crash in Moreton bay in WW2. All I know is the serial and that one crew member died. I have no other info . It could have been salavaged at the time. I do not know. So if any one has any info on it I would appreciated it.

After that we have another 5 potential targets to fill the days with.

thanks

Matthew MacLean

silvano jung
2nd Lieutenant

Post by silvano jung »

Hello Matthew

What do you do when you find wreck sites?

Would you be interested in bringing you side scan sonar to Darwin and Broome to look for flying boat wrecks?

Regards
Silvano
Dr. Silvano Jung

mhd
Private

Post by mhd »

silvano jung wrote:Hello Matthew

What do you do when you find wreck sites?

Would you be interested in bringing you side scan sonar to Darwin and Broome to look for flying boat wrecks?

Regards
Silvano
Blow them up, no only joking. The only thing we have found to date was a landing craft, which a general navigation warming already existed for, so we didn't have to do anything for it, but we would normally try to get some footage / photos of the wreck to aid with identification and notify the museum, of tropical QLD (which deals with maritime history here in QLD). We also let the local Maritime Museum in Brisbane know and in the case of plane wrecks publicize it here and a couple of diving forums. If it's a ship wreck (or potential navigation hazard) we would also let the hydrographers office know. Regarding coming to Darwin, would love to, but reality is time is in premium and We don't get enough done locally to to take time to get to places like Darwin.

Good luck with your seraches.

Matt

mhd
Private

Post by mhd »

buzzer wrote:Hi, Matt, if the DC-3 is the one in the South Passage, residents of Straddie told me it was salvaged.

No more info on the Havoc than what you have.

The B-25 supposedly blew up in midair and sections were retrieved, but not the main fuselage as I understand it. General line is east of the former Pile Light and Woody Point.

Know about the Catalina north of Peel? A mate of mine in the U.R.G.Q dived on it, but wouldn`t tell me the location. Unfortunately, he`s gone to the Great Coral Reef in the Sky.

Then there are the three Airocobras-------:D

Outside the Bay, there`s the Sunderland that sunk under tow to Tweed Heads, somewhere off Palm Beach Reef.

I`m in Briz, by the way.
Hi Buzzer, think we have a mutual friend called Rick,

Had heard similar regards DC3, but can't get it confirmed, have the marks for the wing, have reports of divers in the 70's seeing the rest of it on a drift. Pretty reliable source, so hence the interest. I Know roughly the location of one p-39 never had much detail on the other 2, but next time at redcliffe was going to run the sidescan in line with the street.

Rick has mentioned something regarding a plane north of peel he's heard off, that would be magic, same goes for the sunderland, that would be a dream come true finding one of them.

Another is a hudson of jumpin pin, and a pair of beauforts of Evans head south of the border. We are sure fisho's have found the beauforts, but are not telling as it is a great fishing spot and they don't want ot losr it. But htey have pulled up wreckage on the anchor

PM me if you want ro go for a dive and have a look

Matt