Japanese Midget Submarine Found

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

rod mountford
2nd Lieutenant

Japanese Midget Submarine Found

Post by rod mountford »

Hi just saw the promo for this weekends 60 Minutes. The footage shows a midget sub lying on her keel on the seafloor! It is the right type, the conning tower gives it away. It will view on Sunday night and the exact location will be kept a secret (as it is a war grave) but my hunch is a little way out and south of the heads by a few kms. Cheers Rod

Leondus
1st Lieutenant

Post by Leondus »

sub 'located' ? again By D.D. McNicoll
November 24, 2006 12:21am

LITTLE more than a year after the last breathless "discovery" of a Japanese midget submarine missing after the 1942 raid on Sydney, two television programs and a women's magazine have found "the real McCoy".

Last night Channel 7's Today Tonight scuttled a planned Channel 9 scoop by airing photographs from next week's edition of New Idea that purport to show the long-missing sub resting upright on the seabed north of Sydney.

On Sunday night, Nine's 60 Minutes planned to run the pictures of a two-man submarine it claims was found by scuba divers in deep water off the coast.

The network began running promotions for the "world exclusive" program early yesterday.

But Seven last night spiked 60 Minutes guns by showing New Idea's exclusive photographs. New Idea is published by Pacific Magazines, which is owned by Seven.

"The sub is in amazingly good shape. It is sitting up on its keel on the sand and instantly identifiable as a submarine," 60 Minutes reporter Liam Bartlett said yesterday.

"I know the story wasn't helped by the Foxtel History Channel documentary last year that falsely claimed to have found the sub in Broken Bay. This is different. It is the real McCoy."

The photographs shown on Today Tonight last night showed an object on the seabed heavily encrusted with barnacles and weed.

In November last year, the History Channel ran a documentary by Sydney filmmaker Damien Lay that claimed to have found the submarine covered by sand just off Lion Island, in Broken Bay, 35km north of Sydney.

A month later, NSW Planning Minister Frank Sartor said investigations by the NSW Heritage Office and the water police had confirmed that the mysterious lump of sand was just that - a lump of sand.

The missing submarine, known as M24, was one of three Japanese midget subs that slipped through the anti-submarine nets stretched across Sydney Harbour on May 31, 1942.

Two of the submarines were sunk after attacking shipping in the harbour - but no sign was found of M24. A torpedo from one of the subs sank HMAS Kuttabul, killing 21 sailors.

Over the past 60 years, the navy has had more than 50 approaches from divers and adventurers who have claimed to have found the 24m, 46-tonne sub.

All have proved to be false.

"You'll be surprised by how it looks," Bartlett said yesterday.

rod mountford
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for the Info

Post by rod mountford »

Hi interesting you say it was found north of the harbour as this means that they had no intenion of meeting up with their mother sub which was waiting to the south (or so we assumed?). As an archaeologist i realised last years claims were rubbish a fragment of copper wire!. As it is a war grave no one will be allowed inside unless the Japanese Government wants the bodies retrived which is unlikely. Hopefully a full examination of the craft will be undertaken to see if there was any damage and if the sea cocks were opened or not. No doubt they would have committed seppuku when they realized there was no hope of recovery. Cheers Rod

Leondus
1st Lieutenant

Post by Leondus »

Did they show any underwater pics of the midget sub?

Tell the truth, I thought you was first talking about the 5th midget sub missing from Pearl Harbor attack.

Ozatwar
Corporal

Japanese Midget submarine found

Post by Ozatwar »

Gidday Folks,

I've just joined the group and here's my first post. I have just updated my web page on the attack on Sydney Harbour by three Japanese midget submarines. I have included data on the recent find of M24.

http://www.ozatwar.com/japsubs/midgetsubs.htm

Regards Peter Dunn