Location of Babo airstrip

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

arjuna808
Private

Location of Babo airstrip

Post by arjuna808 »

Pacific Wrecks gives the location of Babo airstrip in western New Guinea as Lat 2? 32' 60S Long 133? 25' 0E, but this doesn't seem as likely to me as another spot nearby where there definitely was a Japanese airstrip. The location of that site, which I have visited and is easily visible as such (bomb craters, airstrip, etc) on Google Earth, is 2? 29' 32'' S 133? 05' 45'' E. Does anyone have any idea if 1. the first coordinates (PW data, and probably based on Allied data) could be wrong and the actual Babo airstrip was at the latter coordinates, or 2. there was a second Japanese airstrip at the latter coordinates? Thanks in advance.

arjuna808
Private

RE: Location of Babo Airstrip

Post by arjuna808 »

No, not interested in salvaging whatsoever. I have just spent a fair amount of time in that part of New Guinea in an entirely different capacity (scientific research), and that combined with a fascination with Zeros led me to a curiousity about Babo and other Japanese airfields.

On another note, there is info on another Japanese airstrip, the furthest they got down the south coast, in a book written by a friend of mine who has lived in that area for 10 years. Apparently the strip at a place now called Keakwa (near Timika Pantai) was never really used, but it has significance in being their furthest outpost. The book is called "Kamoro: Between the Tides" by David Pickell. I can send you more info if you are interested -- there is only a fairly brief description and no photos.