USS Quail (AM-15)

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

sccphoto
Private

USS Quail (AM-15)

Post by sccphoto »

Has there ever been a recovery of the USS Quail (AM-15)? I believe it was scuttled in Manila Harbor. I am also interested in any information on the Quail's 36-foot motor launch. It made it to Australia with 18 of the Quail's crew.

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

I have been unable to find any details about the wreck being recovered, however, I did come across this about the launch:
http://www.abc.net.au/nt/stories/s1159605.htm
On June 6th 1942 Br Ed and Fr Bill were having breakfast when they were interrupted by a big mob of Aborigines running up from the beach shouting excitedly.

They had seen an open boat of men.

?They thought it was the Japs. They came up singing out and yakai-ing?, Br Ed remembers.

They all returned to the scene and watched as the twenty-five foot wooden craft beached itself on the high tide.

The men came ashore and identified themselves as American sailors. They had been at sea for four weeks after their ship USS Quail was bombed in Corregidor harbour in the Philippines.

The Mission cared for them overnight and saw them on their way the next morning. They reached Darwin and were repatriated to USA.

For their efforts the Mission was given the boat which was put to good use transporting supplies and mail and for fishing and croc hunting trips.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

silvano jung
2nd Lieutenant

Post by silvano jung »

The arrival of the second USS 'Quail' in Australian waters is apparently captured in a photograph. See below text:

?The last men out of Corregidor. Corregidor was the last ditch. Bataan had fallen on the 8th of April, and American Forces put Cebu to the torch. In the last hours there was nothing for the naval men to do but scuttle their remaining vessels. A few men managed to escape in a PBY, and others, as shown in this photograph, navigated to Australia [Bathurst Island?] in a 36-foot launch. They flew a flag made from a red petticoat, a blue shirt, and white cloth? (Wise and Company 1946:91).

Wise, W. and Company Incorporated. 1946. Battle Stations! Your Navy in action: a photographic epic of the naval operations of World War II told by the great admirals who sailed the fleet from Norfolk to Normandy and from the Golden Gate to the Inland Sea. WM. H. Wise and Company, Incorporated, New York.

I can't remember the source at the moment, but I remember that the boat used to get to Australia was stolen off the back of a Japanese destroyer in Manilla Bay. The vessel was duely re-named in honour of the crew's previous ship, lost in Manilla.

I've often wondered what happened to the second USS 'Quail'. Wooden boat in Australian tropics - not much hope of longevity. Would have been a fantastic boat to have kept.

Regards
Silvano
Dr. Silvano Jung