Need Plane Serial Number on P-38 Lost 7/11/43

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

hennjhn
Sergeant

Need Plane Serial Number on P-38 Lost 7/11/43

Post by hennjhn »

Could someone please give me the serial number of a P-38 that was lost on 7/11/43. The plane was last seen going down in the Wau area, Papua New Guinea with the left engine smoking and a enemy plane pursuing it. The plane belonged to the 9th Fighter Squadron, 49th Fighter Group. The name of the pilot is F/O Archie C. Davis, Jr., KIA the same date above. Thank You: John
John Hennessy

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Am unable to find the serial for this P-38 as yet, though found the following reference in Osprey's "49th Fighter Group - Aces Of The Pacific" by Hess.
Two days later, while on patrol over Wau and Salamaua, the 9th FS jumped a large formation of Zekes. Capt Thomas Fowler got one, but not before Flt Off Archie Davis had been shot down. Both Fowler and Lt Leroy Donnell also sustained damaging hits.
I can find no 49th FG losses on July 10/11 with the Army Air Forces website's MACR database.

The ABMC databases lists ARCHIE C DAVIS, JR, T-186352 as currently Missing In Action on July 11, 1943.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

Leondus
1st Lieutenant

Post by Leondus »

49th Fighter Group, 9th Fighter Squadron (The Flying Knights)
http://www.flyingknights.net/

They had three KIA's from 10-11th
Archie Davis
+
First Lieutenant Frederick J. Sibley, KIA on the 10th
Sergeant Frederick H. Bente, KIA on the 11th

norge
Sergeant

Post by norge »

Thanks much Leondus for the George Alber picture collection. They are great and again I highly recommend to all posters to check them out
Harry