Richard Wright - Coral Sea Campaign interest

Meet the PWD online community

Moderator: Moderator

Richard Wright
Corporal

Richard Wright - Coral Sea Campaign interest

Post by Richard Wright »

Hello other members!
I have been visiting this sight for years and have gotten some great co-operation for its owner.
I am retired, amateur military historian with interests in ancient, American Civil War, and WWII battles and situations...since I was 8 years old. My father served with the 2nd & 4th Marine divisions being in New Zealand, Saipan, and Okinawa. His war stories have inspired me to further my depth of knowledge of what he and others like him went thru during WWII.
I enjoy wargaming the Coral Sea campaign. A group of us in the St.Louis, MO area have been simulating this campaign. We however have failed to nail down what Port Moresby base actually looked like during the campaign. While maps here have been invaluable, we just have not secured how much jungle the area consisted of and how long the 2 dirt airstrips were...7-mile and Kila Kila. We need this info for we are going to simulate an actual Japanese landing at the base to see if the capture of the base was actually possible.
On other things, I have benefited from the originator of this site with a map of Ballaee airfield - "Pappy" Boyington's first major engagement with his famous Corsair squadron.
I use 1/300 scale aircraft to simulate WWII air engagements, 15mm lead figures to simulate battle in ancient times, and 15mm lead figures to re-create American Civil War battles and situations.
I enjoy reading, my 7 grandchildren, my bride of 15 years, and creating maps and terrain for my wargames.
Richard Wright