Greetings!

Meet the PWD online community

Moderator: Moderator

Chris Rhode
Private

Greetings!

Post by Chris Rhode »

I'm Chris Rhode. I am a new member and have come to this site off and on over the years out of an interest in all things related to the WWII Pacific Theater. I am about to make my first journey west of Hawaii and wanted to spend some time doing research, asking you all questions, and hoping you can direct me to some of the remaining undisturbed wrecks in the SW Pacific.

I have had an interest in the Pacific Theater since I was a little kid listening to the stories of my Navy relatives who served there from the 1920's and through the war. In 1973 at the tender age of 9 my Mom introduced me to a family friend who was passing through L.A., Greg Boyington. I didn't even know who he was at the time but that was remedied when he gave me a signed copy of his book. We got to meet up with Greg on several other occasions at airshows and when he was down for the filming of "Black Sheep Squadron" in the late 70's, (Obviously one of my hopes is to visit Vella Lavella even if there are no wrecks just to say I was there).

Anyway, I am planning at trip to the PI in April/May, (Luzon, Leyte, Palawan), and once I figure out all the visa issues, I may use the PI as a base of operation and try to hit the other spots on my list, Palau, Saipan, Yap, Guadalcanal and anywhere else that I can get in and out of that may have some WWII sights left.

Please feel free to send any advice or warnings my way.