Hello from Oahu/Baghdad

Meet the PWD online community

Moderator: Moderator

NORCAL GI
Private

Hello from Oahu/Baghdad

Post by NORCAL GI »

Hows it going guys, my name is Dominic and Im a soldier stationed on Oahu but am right now in Iraq. Ive been interested in WWII wrecks and sites since I was a kid and read about the air pirates and Gary larkins in Air&Space. I have tried for sometime to find a career in this type of field but have had a rather hard time pinpointing one. Lately I have been trying to join JPAC (joint POW accountablility office) which is the militarys archeological/ MIA indentifying branch. But their pretty stringent on who they accept and since Im just a lowely infantry man I dont quite make the cut. Anyways Im excited to be able to talk to fellow oddballs like me, if any of you guys have any suggestions on how I can get into this field or any info on wrecks in the Hawaiian islands please drop me a line and say hello.
Spc. David Willis
C.CO 1/21 INF
Camp Liberty Iraq

tenacioustanaka
Private

Re: Hello from Oahu/Baghdad

Post by tenacioustanaka »

David,

Greetings there and Hoorahhh for the Tropic Lightning. Yeah, I know.. technically you guys are the 21st. Not the 25th. My name is Jesse Barnes and an ex-squid who just quit the Naval service after 11 years. I left Oahu just this past December and moved to Texas for a spell, until I move to the Philippines for good sometime next year.

My last posting before I left Hawaii was to be stationed at Camp H.M. Smith which is where you may be aware that JPAC has it's recovery teams stationed. (Primary facilities are still at Hickam.) It is in building 29 right next to the main gate on the right as I was downstairs with the Navy's APSPAC teams. (we planned Tomahawk missile missions) I was a maintenance technician for the equipment thus an enlisted guy E-6 when I'd finally had enough. However, I have a very good friend that works upstairs on the actual recovery teams as he is a sailor as well since it is a mixed command, Army, Airforce and Navy. I have not talked to the guy in several months as I know he was about to transfer but he could steer you in the right direction and give you a contact or two. It's not as difficult to get a posting there as some may have told you. If they did, they are full of ..... well, you get the point!

His Name is Patrick Thompson and his personal email is: kizoku_@hotmail.com He used to be an E-5 but got picked up for Warrant and now is a friggin ground pounder... go figure. :P I doubt he will get pissed about me handing out the email but tough S*&T if he does. Just tell him Jesse Barnes gave it to you and I'll pop his melon when I see him again. LOL!

Hope this can help a bit.

Take care and keep your head down bro.

Jesse