Help Retrieving my Father's Dog Tag

Information relating to Pacific Wrecks website

Moderator: Moderator

gustin
Private

Help Retrieving my Father's Dog Tag

Post by gustin »

A couple of years ago, it was brought to my attention that my Father's Dog Tag was found in New Guinea. In the past, I have been in contact with Justin Taylan. I sent him a scan Air Force picture of my dad and a copy of his obituary. I received the following message from Justin: "The dog tag is stored with our friend in New Guinea, we will notify him of you, and ask him to mail it to USA. Please be patient with this, as soon as we know when it can be shipped, I will let you know. This could take anywhere from a week or more to get notification and the tag shipped.

I also had a few email exchanges with Francesca Cumero and she was able to provide me with some background information regarding my father's pre-WWII involvement in the Philippine Islands.

I have in the past sought information on how I may obtain my father's dog tag and I haven't received anymore replies. My family members and I were/are somewhat disappointed with the lack of responses to my inquiries.

My father, Wayne Gustin, who was from Elmira, NY served in the US Air Force for 14 years. He was a tail gunner and was shot down in the pacific. He served with distinction. My family and I would love to receive his Dog Tags but we are at a lost as to how to accomplish this...

Ken

gustin
Private

Re: Help Retrieving my Father's Dog Tag

Post by gustin »

To contact me regarding retrieving my father's dog tag, I can be reached at gustin@Illinois.edu