US Star Pacific Wrecks Your donation today supports the next 15 years

All donations are100% tax deductible
non-profit 501c3

$
Main Search Forum Reviews People MIAs Help
    Zablan Airfield (Manila East, Murphy) NCR Philippines

Click For Enlargement
circa 1935

Click For Enlargement
July 1941

Click For Enlargement
Tony Feredo 2000

Click For Enlargement
Justin Taylan 2009

Click For Enlargement
Tony Feredo 2009

Location
121° 4' 0" E / 14° 35' 0" N Located to the east of Highway 54 (EDSA) and Cubao in Quezon City, near Manila. Also known as 'Camp Murphy Airfield', 'Manila East Airfield' and 'Zablan Field'. One mile to the east was Zablan Auxiliary Airfield.

Construction
Built prewar by the US Army on Camp Murphy. The original runways were a pair of intersecting sod runways adjacent to the parade ground at Camp Murphy.

Naming Honors
Later renamed "Zablan Field" in honor of Major Porfirio E. Zablan, PAAC pilot who died in a plane crash on June 17, 1935.

Prewar History
This was the first constructed military airfield manned by the Philippine Constabulary Air Corps (PCAC). Intended primarily for pilot training, the PCAC later became the Philippine Army Air Corps (PAAC) on December 23, 1935.

The first class of six PAAC students: Alandy, Villamor, Reyes, Zosa, Cruz , Wuirante and Padilla had no uniforms other than overalls and none were accommodated at Zablan, and had to be shuttled to the airfield's only 4WD vehicle, an amce.

While serving on General MacArthur's staff, Major Dwight Eisenhower learned to fly with the PAAC at Zablan Airfield.

Philippine Army Corps Units based at Zablan
6th Pursuit Squadron (P-26) 1941

Japanese Usage
Occupied by the Japanese when they occupied Manila. The Japanese enhance to Zablan Airfield building two intersecting runways further to the south-east in an inverted L shape. One runway was E-W while the other was N-S.

Japanese Units based at Murphy
29th Sentai (Ki-44, Ki-84) also Zablan Auxiliary Airfield

Postwar
After the war, it was renamed Camp Emilio Aguinaldo (first president of the Philippines). Since Highway 54 (old name of EDSA) split the Camp Murphy, the other half located on the easter side of HIghway 54 was later named Camp Crame (after Brig Gen Rafael Crame, the first Filipino PC chief), where the Philippine Constabulary was headquartered. Now its the HQ of the Philippine National Police.

Today
Disused as an airfield since the war, it is now known as "Camp Aguinaldo". Today, it is the national headquarters of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), located close to the national headquarters of the Philippine National Police (PNP).

The former Japanese runways forms the roads of White Plains Avenue and a portion of Katipunan Avenue, just in front of White Plains subdivisions. If you happen to pass by Santolan Avenue, the two concrete water towers fronting the entrance are original since the 1930s.

Tony Feredo adds:
"I have a photo of Zablan taken from the air which shows the entire compound and reservoir plus a sketch of the Japanese enhanced runways."

Armed Forces of the Philippines Museum (AFP Museum)
Located at General Arturo Enrile Building behind parade ground

References
Thanks to Tony Feredo for additional information
Wings Over The Philippines, page 37
Pacific War Airfields Project - Zablan (Camp Murphy, Manila East)

Contribute Information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
January 23, 2012

 

Google Earth
121° 4' E
14° 35' N

MapMap 1945

Google Earth
View in Google Earth
(Prewar)

Photos
Photo Archive

Pacific Wreck Database
Pacific Wrecks Incorporated is a non-profit charity 501(c)(3)  Donate Now

All rights reserved