70th FS c1942
David Paulley 1982
Yoji Sakaida 2007
Lat 17° 45' 19S Long 177° 26' 36E Nadi Airfield is located north of Nadi on Viti Levu Island, Fiji. Also known as Viti Levu Airport, Nadi Airport or Nadi International Airport. To the south is Nadi.
Built prewar, during the war this airfield had a single 5,000' runway.
During the Pacific War, Nadi Airfield was used on the aircraft
ferry route from Hawaii to Australia. Aircraft would next fly to Canton. Many of the USAAF units on Fiji were under the direct command of the US Navy.
On August 24, 1943 First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt arrived at Nadi Airfield and toured Fiji as part of her South Pacific tour and departed the next day.
Allied units based at Nadi
Task Group 8.9 (B-17) Canton January 21-23, 1942 New Caledonia
347th FG, 70th Pursuit Squadron / Fighter Squadron (P-39s) USA Jan 29 - Dec 1942 Guadalcanal
11th BG, 431 BS (B-17) Hawaii July 24 - Dec 5, 1942 Espiritu Santo
5th BG, 394th BS
(B-17, B-24) Hawaii Dec 5, 42 - June 28, 43 Guadalcanal
5th BG HQ (B-17s) Hawaii Dec 25, 1942 - ?
5th BG 394th BS HQ (B-17) Hawaii Dec 25, 1942 - ?
7th BG, 86th BS (B-17) air echelon Hickam February 10, 1942 - ?
7th BG, 88th BS (B-17) air echelon Hickam Feb 12 - 20, 42 Townsville
7th BG, 22nd BS (B-17) Jogjakarta Feb 14 - Feb 20, 1942 Townsville
38th BG, 70th BS (B-26) ? - Jan 9, 1943 Guad returns Feb 4, 1943
347th FG, 68th FS (P-39, P-38) Guad April 12, 43 - Feb 4, 44 Bougainville
18th FG, 70th FS (P-39) ? - April 6, 1943 Guad
42nd BG HQ USA April 22 - June 6, 1943 Guad
42nd BG, 390th BS (B-25) New Caledonia April 23 - May 11, 43 to Guadalcanal
15 Squadron (P-40) NZ March - April 14, 1943 to Espiritu Santo
Still in use today, known as Nadi Airport or Nadi International Airport. Airport codes: ICAO: NFFN and IATA: NAN The airport has two runways. The first runway is oriented 20/2 and measures 10,739' x 150' surfaced with asphalt. The second runway is oriented 27/09 and measures 7,007' x 150' surfaced with asphalt.
Michael Claringbould adds:
"There were two runways at Nadi. The second one was just west of the main one today. there are still remnants of it there, but I have not seen them. the area is now an Fiji-Indian village."
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
March 31, 2017
View in Google Earth