Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate

P-38H-1-LO Lightning Serial Number 42-66554  
USAAF
5th AF
475th FG
432nd FS

USAAF 1943
Pilot  1st Lt. William T. Ritter, O-797714 (MIA / KIA) Oconomowoc, WI
MIA  January 18, 1944
MACR  1914

Aircraft History
Built by Lockheed Aircraft Corporation (LAC) in Burbank. Constructors Number 1117. Delivered to the U.S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as P-38H-1-LO Lightning serial number 42-66554. Disassembled and shipped overseas to the South West Pacific Area (SWPA) and reassembled.

Wartime History
Assigned to the 5th Air Force (5th AF), 475th Fighter Group (475th FG) "Satan's Angels", 432nd Fighter Squadron (432nd FS) "Clover". No known nickname or nose art. When lost, engines V-1710-89 serial number 42-93701 and V-1710-91 serial number 42-29699. Weapon serial numbers noted in Missing Air Crew Report 1914 (MACR 1914).

Mission History
On January 18, 1944 took off from Doboudra Airfield No. 10 piloted by 1st Lt. William T. Ritter on a fighter sweep over Wewak. Weather was overcast at 23,000' with low scattered cumulus clouds.

Over the target, at 18,000' the formation intercepted a group of roughly twelve Ki-61 Tony fighters. Lt. Ritter and his wingman Lt. Michener both had trouble releasing their drop tanks before intercepting a single Tony that broke formation and flew in front of them. Both P-38s opened fire and hit the enemy plane, Ritter's gunfire set it on fire. As Ritter's plane passed, his left wingtip collided with the the center of the Tony's left wing at roughly 10:50am. The wingtip tore off and this P-38 burst into flames. Last seen at roughly Lat 3.33 Long 143.38. When this plane failed to return it was officially listed as Missing In Action (MIA).

1st Lt. John E. Michener states in MACR 1914 page 5:
“I was flying on Lt. Ritter’s wing at 18,000’ when I first sighted the enemy. There were about 12 Tonys directly in front and a[t] 1,000’ above us. One of the Tonys peeled down, as if snafued, directly in front of us. He didn't see us until after we had fired at very short range. Lt. Ritter and I both had trouble dropping our belly tanks. Lt. Ritter and I were in a tight formation when we attacked the Tony. As I swerved over Lt. Ritter and [I went] out to the the right. I fired at the Tony before he was directly in front of us. As I pulled back over to the left to avoid Lt. Ritter gave him a burst that set him on fire. When the Tony was hit he appeared to cut back to the right and up. As Lt. Ritter’s plane, having excess speed, was passing to the right of the Tony, his left wing tip collided with the center of the Tonys right wing. He immediately burst into flames and started down. I past over to the left of both planes. I nosed down and turned slightly to the left to try to see what had happened to Lt. Ritter. I was unable to see if he had bailed out.”

Wreckage
Postwar, this aircraft was located by Australian authorities. No action has ever been taken by the U.S. regarding this case to date.

Brian Bennett adds:
"A couple of years ago I did manage to convince JPAC that there was information to be had at the AWM and Nat archives and persuade pay for a bus trip down. In one of the old RAAF files I found some odds and sods of notes that were not tied to any particular file and I recall that I wrote theses down. As I say I can’t find them at the moment but I did plot stuff to maps-I always do this as maps and I get on. There was something on Ritter-a strange note but which indicated that the crash site of his aircraft had been  found as an engine number had been found and noted.
I nearly certain that the engine number was 42-93701 and the site was located near a village called KWOIRUO which is on PNG topo series T 683, Sheet 7590 Maprick. On the very poor map from the MACR microfiche and that is another point as the MACR records at JPAC HQ are all on  microfiche and so many are degraded now that is  very hard to read them. Now I have no idea if there is a crash site in that area of Kwoiruo as these places are hard to get to now by road if at all."

Memorials
Ritter was officially declared dead on January 16, 1946. He earned the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC), Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster and Purple Heart, posthumously. Ritter is memorialized at Manila American Cemetery on the tablets of the missing.

Relatives
Emily Ritter (relative of William T. Ritter)

References
NARA World War II Army Enlistment Records - William T. Ritter
USAF Serial Number Search Results - P-38H-1-LO Lightning 42-66554
"66554 (475th FG, 431st FS) MIA Jan 18, 1944"
Missing Air Crew Report 1914 (MACR 1914)
Wisconson State Journal "Lieut. Ritter Lost in Action" February 27, 1944 page 1
American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) - William T. Ritter
FindAGrave - 1Lt William T Ritter (photo, obituary, tablets of the missing)
PNG Museum Aircraft Status Card - P-38H Lightning 42-66554
Thanks to Philip Fazzini for additional pilot details

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
November 8, 2022

Tech Info
P-38

Map
Map
Jan 18, 1944

MIAMIA
1 Missing
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  

Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram